Saturday, November 05, 2005

favorite scriptures

I know I was going to post about my thoughts on that Spanish immersion parent meeting, but I have to comment on the favorite scriptures!

Athena--I also love "Jesus wept." It says so much. It brings tears to my eyes almost every time I read it. And yes, easy to memorize ;-).

Mainegirl--The original Mainegirl's blog is now here: http://mainegirl.typepad.com/the_brusselleans/
I have not read Psalm 8 for awhile, and it is delightful. I think that may be one of the psalms my mothers memorized in school--public school! It's funny to think that just a generation ago they recited the Lord's prayer every morning and memorized several psalms. Right, Mum? Anyway, I love "thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour."

ml cites several scriptures from the Book of Mormon, and I list them here for the benefit of those who don't have one:
Moroni 7:48;
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure.

Moses (The Book of Moses is located in the Pearl of Great Price, an apocryphal work) 7: 28-33 & 37;
28 And it came to pass that the God of heaven looked upon the residue of the people, and he wept; and Enoch bore record of it, saying: How is it that the heavens weep, and shed forth their tears as the rain upon the mountains?
29 And Enoch said unto the Lord: How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?
30 And were it possible that man could number the particles of the earth, yea, millions of earths like this, it would not be a beginning to the number of thy creations; and thy curtains are stretched out still; and yet thou art there, and thy bosom is there; and also thou art just; thou art merciful and kind forever;
31 And thou hast taken Zion to thine own bosom, from all thy creations, from all eternity to all eternity; and naught but peace, justice, and truth is the habitation of thy throne; and mercy shall go before thy face and have no end; how is it thou canst weep?
32 The Lord said unto Enoch: Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency;
33 And unto thy brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father; but behold, they are without affection, and they hate their own blood;
37 But behold, their sins shall be upon the heads of their fathers; Satan shall be their father, and misery shall be their doom; and the whole heavens shall weep over them, even all the workmanship of mine hands; wherefore should not the heavens weep, seeing these shall suffer?

Ether 12: 27 & 37 (start about half way through in 37--they go together);
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
37 ...And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father.

Jacob 7:26 ("...the time passed away with us, and also our lives passed away like as it were unto us a dream..." a beautiful and poignant epitaph).
26 And it came to pass that I, Jacob, began to be old; and the record of this people being kept on the other plates of Nephi, wherefore, I conclude this record, declaring that I have written according to the best of my knowledge, by saying that the time passed away with us, and also our lives passed away like as it were unto us a dream, we being a lonesome and a solemn people, wanderers, cast out from Jerusalem, born in tribulation, in a wilderness, and hated of our brethren, which caused wars and contentions; wherefore, we did mourn out our days.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I enjoyed so much reading the various favorite scriptures that everyone sent. I feel overwhelming gratitude when I recite Isaiah 49:14-16 and often turn to D&C 95:1 as a follow-up to that. Your 1 Corinthians:9-12 is a further illumination of these truths. Thank you, thank you!