Thursday, November 03, 2005

What's yours?

Last night the Stake Young Women's president gave a class to our Young Women's group on marking scriptures. She had a lot of good ideas, especially for youth and people who are not in the habit of marking scriptures. She said we should make our scriptures more visual and personal.

She said that we should all be frequently sharing with each other what our favorite scripture is. Now, at first this bothered me a little and I'm afraid I may have rolled my eyes (hope she didn't see me!). How could I possibly pick a favorite? And why should I? But then I remembered President Payne (our Stake president--for those of you who aren't Mormon that means he oversees about ten congregations) shared his favorite scripture in the last Stake conference. I admire President Payne, and I thought if he can come up with a favorite I suppose I can. President Payne's favorite is Isaiah 53. He told us we should all memorize it. I haven't yet, though I've read it many times.

I've decided that my current favorite is 1 Corinthians 13:12, "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." Actually the entire chapter 13 is a favorite, and that is one I have memorized. Georgie has, too. Why do I like that chapter? The poetry of it. I like how it defines charity, but I like equally well how the words roll off my tongue. I like that specific verse because I sometimes get frustrated that I don't know things I'd really like to know. It comforts me to read in this verse that some day I will see things clearly, truthfully, as they are. I suppose the verse points specifically to knowledge of the Savior, and in that sense it is comforting to know that He knows us much better than we know Him.

What is your favorite scripture?

4 comments:

Athena said...

John 11:35

And it's not that difficult to memorise either. ;-)

But I have many.

Athena said...

I like the scripture you posted too.

mainegirl said...

I am partial to Psalm 8.

ML said...

Moroni 7:48; Moses 7: 28-33 & 37; Ether 12: 27 & 37 (start about half way through in 37--they go together); Jacob 7:26 ("...the time passed away with us, and also our lives passed away like as it were unto us a dream..." a beautiful and poignant epitaph). I also love some of the classics like the address of Ruth to Naomi in Ruth 1: 16-17, and "God so loved the world" (I love the hymn) in John 3:16-17. Sorry this is so long--that's what you get from a Seminary teacher!