Wednesday, December 28, 2005

frijoles rancheros


I had never before made this spicy bean soup, typical of northern Mexico, before last night. I winged it, and it turned out delicious! I'm writing down the recipe so I don't forget, and thought I might as well post it:

Boil 1 lb. pinto beans for five minutes. (I do this in the microwave.) Let set for 1 hr. Drain and rinse beans. Cook according to package directions.
Fry until crispy 1/2 lb. bacon.
Remove bacon from pan and chop into tiny pieces. Remove bacon grease from fry pan except 1 T.
Add 1 chopped onion to fry pan and cook about 5 minutes.
Add 1-2 serrano chile peppers, diced.
Add 3 large cloves garlic, minced.
Cook, stirring with spatula, 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
Add chopped bacon.
Add 2 medium or 1 large can petite diced tomatoes. cook several minutes.
Combine this mixture with pinto beans in a large pot.
Add 4-6 cups chicken broth, or more. Eye ball it. (I use "Knorr Suiza" instant boullion.)
Simmer 20 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Add small handful of chopped cilantro and simmer a few more minutes.

4 comments:

ave said...

can i use canned pinto beans instead?

Calandria said...

Yes, I'm sure that would work too.

Montserrat said...

Oh, YUM! Recipe looks great. I'll have to add it our menu next week. Thanks!

Athena said...

I might give the recipe a try when I get back to the states. I'll let you know how it goes. Post some more recipes! ;-)