Sunday, February 25, 2007

art shelf challenge

Against the Sky, 1911, Robert Reid (1862–1929)

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." Eleanor Roosevelt
Athena created the art shelf challenge, and I'm taking a stab at it here. I'm not sure yet if I'll make it a regular feature. I am so often inspired by great art. It stimulates me. I haven't made it to any museums for a while, but I do occasional cyber visits when I need a fix.
I read the above words by Eleanor Roosevelt tonight. I immediately knew the perfect painting to go with her quote. I saw Against the Sky about six years ago at BYU's Museum of Art. It's part of their permanent collection.
This young woman looks like a determined dreamer of the sort I imagine Eleanor Roosevelt had in mind. She dreams big and isn't fazed by the obstacles. She takes no shame in her dreams, for why should she? She dismisses her critics and challenges her naysayers. "I may have a ninteen-inch waist," she says, "but there's more to me than meets the eye."

5 comments:

athena said...

i LOVE eleanor roosevelt's quote. are you reading a biography or autobiography about her? i really like the painting you chose to go with the quote too. i hope one day we'll get to visit the art museum at BYU. my husband is abit nervous about being surrounded by mormons. crazy guy. :)

Julie said...

I like this very much! What a great description.

Calandria said...

I am not reading a bio of Eleanor Roosevelt now, but I did a few years ago. I think I just stumbled across that quote on the web.

Yeah, Capt. O better watch out for those Mormons! They might force him to eat Hawaiian haystacks or something. :-)

athena said...

Yeah, Capt. O better watch out for those Mormons! They might force him to eat Hawaiian haystacks or something. :-)

or jello. ;)

Calandria said...

What, you don't think O would like green jello with shredded carrots and celery? C'mon, it's haute cuisine.