Wednesday, March 07, 2007

art shelf challenge: bramasole


Vincent van Gogh, Olive Trees, 1889
This one is at the Minneapolis Institute of Art. I used to go there so frequently. Why not anymore?
Bramasole is Italian and means "yearning for the sun." Athena sent me this word and its meaning last year when I was looking for words in other languages that mean "longing," like aƱoranza in Spanish.
I love to say the word bramasole. That word so thoroughly defines me this time of year. I love to look at this painting and imagine myself strolling amongst the olive trees, the Mediterranean sun pressing my clothes warm against my back.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Have you read Under the Tuscan Sun? The author's home in Tuscany is names Bramasole. The book really is evocative of the scents, tastes, and sights of the area. I really liked it. I was daydreaming just this morning about how I could get to Italy...

Julie said...

You paint a lovely picture with your words to go with van Gogh's painting on canvas.

Auntie Lee said...

You know after living here I understand why he went to France. It is overcast here more than 300 days of the year. I don't know if you have seen Van Gogh's early stuff that he painted when he still lived here but it is very dark and dreary than he goes to France and starts using bright colors. Its no wonder. Maybe he had SAD.
His grandson was killed recently by a terrorist. He was a film maker and made really depressing films. Maybe he should have gone to France as well.

k. said...

What a great word. Although I can't complain because the sun is around here a lot, but it has been so low in the sky and feels so far away. It is beginning to come closer again. The painting was a wonderful choice for the word!

athena said...

i was reading a book by peter mayle on the way over here. he mentions how he had bought property in provence that had grape vines. i was thinking how i would like the same but seeing that i don't drink wine how i wouldn't mind harvesting olives. i think i read that in the same book michelle mentions (under the tuscan sun). loving your art shelf challenges and how you relate them to how you are feeling now.

Sumpy Gump said...

I love going to the Institute of Arts too, and I haven't been there in a while either. Wish I had more time to do things like that.