Sunday, March 11, 2007

yes!


I have lost over ten pounds since December. I decided that the weight would have to come off slowly. I gained it slowly--nearly fifteen pounds over two years. It happened so gradually I barely noticed. Suddenly things were not fitting, but then we'd move into a new season and I would end up buying some new things that did fit. I decided that I could lose one pound per week without feeling deprived. In the past I have decided to lose weight, but I would always cut out too many of the things I love, feel deprived, and then go back to my bad eating habits with a vengeance. Maybe my eating habits were not awful, but they were not healthy.

We ate out too much. At least once per week J and I went out to dinner, and often one other time per week with the kids. I've noticed that when I go out to restaurants I end up eating about twice as much as I normally would at home. I am short and small, and those extra calories turned into extra pounds. Now we eat out infrequently. When we do eat at restaurants, I set aside half of my meal to take home before I even start eating. That has worked really well, because I seem to feel perfectly full but not too full.

When I made the goal of losing weight in January, I knew that I didn't want to feel deprived. I love food! I especially love desserts. I have kept eating dessert, but a little less often and not as large servings. This past week I've had a bowl of ice cream, peach cobbler, and chocolate brownies. And I still lost two pounds. Sometimes it has required some stern self-talk to keep from going for that third brownie, for example, but I always feel so much better when I 1) do let myself eat dessert, but 2) eat a reasonable amount.

I plan on exercising six days per week, but I never do. I have too much going on in my life. My family is more important than exercising six days per week, so some days I have to drop it. I average four days per week. I have been doing Yoga Booty Ballet dvds and they're working for me. I look forward to consistently good weather so I can get out for long walks in the early morning when everyone is still asleep.

I have made some great food discoveries, some found in Health and Shape magazines. The salad above is a new favorite I came up with . Black beans, grape tomatoes, and avocado mixed with a tablespoon of olive oil vinaigrette on top of salad greens. I love colorful food. I enjoy it so much more when it is beautiful.

Some other favorites are:

plain yogurt with sliced bananas, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar
Red River hot cereal with dried berries
Swedish crisp bread topped with tuna salad with chopped red pepper and celery
Sabra hummus (thanks, Michelle!) with veggies and homemade pita chips
spicy lentil soup with shitake mushrooms
resolution salad
stir-fried bok choy with udon noodles
To celebrate losing ten pounds I'm getting a pedicure. I've never had one before.

6 comments:

Montserrat said...

Congrats on the weight loss! You are doing much better than I am on my goal. Maybe I should try your approach. It'd probably work better. My problem is I fool myself into thinking it's okay to eat a larger serving because I'm nursing.

Great pic of the salad!

Calandria said...

I could never lose much weight while I was nursing. I could not maintain an adequate milk supply unless I really ate A LOT. And even then I struggled.

Karen said...

Congratulations! Enjoy your pedicure - it's amazingly luxurious.

I wish I could still be nursing ... I lost weight so easily after each boy was born by nursing. Easiest dieting I ever did!

I need to follow your example and just be moderate with my favorites.

Again, congrats - feel proud, as you have done something half the country is trying to do and can't!

ML said...

Good going Lindsay--and have you ever tried vanilla yogurt (or plain) over orange segments or fresh peaches? Yummmm! BTW, check out Mal's and my try at food photography--you inspired us (hee hee).

athena said...

good for you! i love pedicures. i loved nursing too. not only did i have breasts but i had hips and i could eat and eat and not put on any weight. that's the up side to my not liking being pregnant.

Julie said...

Sounds great! My husband told me about a client of his who needed to lose a significant amount of wait as quickly as he could for health reasons and has had marked success simply by using a smaller plate at meals. He says he eats everything that is served, he simply eats less of it. He fills his smaller plate once and then he is done.

DH has often said that women in particular eat too much, especially when dining in restaurants. They get served the same amount of food as their husbands and they often eat it all when they simply don't need as much. They are naturally smaller and therefore need fewer calories.