Friday, April 13, 2007

grrr

I should go out for a walk. The weather is beautiful. I should stop crunching on my granola (anger food) and put on my sneakers.

I saw this cartoon early this morning and told myself, "This is stupid. I'm not going to let it bother me." But guess what. It bothers me. In fact, it makes me hopping mad.

Probably the line is a fine one between funny in an ironic way and justifiably offensive. I don't know where exactly that line should be drawn, but I know racist and bigoted when I see it. I know what mean is. I thought that the racist political cartoons about Condoleeza Rice were disgusting and couldn't believe they were printed. I think what Don Imus said was disgusting. The above may not reach that level of disgustingness, but it offends me.

Dave Granlund, did you know that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints do not practice polygamy? There may be little pockets (compounds?) of polygamists in the western United States who call themselves Mormons, but they do not belong to my church. I do not know why they practice polygamy and I do not want to know. I don't know why they call themselves Mormons. What I do know is that the Church of Jesus Christ is an international church. In fact, there are fewer members of our church within the U.S. than without. Dave Granlund, please go to the meetinghouse locator on our Church web site. Click on "select a country." Do you see how many countries in the world have Mormon houses of worship? We all have different skin colors and different ways of dressing. I've never seen a Mormon man dressed as an Amish man. Not that there is anything wrong with the Amish or how they dress--I'm just pointing out that your cartoon is LAME. Your attempt at portraying us as polygamist hayseeds is stupid and false. You should be ashamed of yourself.

9 comments:

Montserrat said...

This is the sort of thing that can make me hopping mad. It's so far out in left field! He must not know any Mormons.

ML said...

I have to admit it--I couldn't help but smile--I think it's funny.

Calandria said...

Maybe it would be funny to me if all people knew that Mormons do not practice polygamy. But they don't know this.

Karen ~ said...

So did you actually send your comments to the cartoonist? I hope so!

Turn that anger into productive action, Girl!

Dave said...

I agree that the cartoon mischaracterizes Mormons, although I just had a thought. "Mormon" is not an official name associated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, so I'm not sure we have any more claim on the word than other groups that also believe in the Book of Mormon, such as these splinter groups that do currently practice polygamy.

In the past, I've been sometimes annoyed that people refer to these other groups as Mormons, but I know realize that I probably shouldn't be. Our Church doesn't refer to itself as "the Mormon Church" nor does it refer to its members as Mormons, so as an informal title, it seems like others have as much claim to it as we do.

Again, I agree that this cartoon mischaracterizes us, and I think it's unfortunate because I believe satire should be based on making fun of or exaggerating real characteristics.

That said, Mitt Romney himself has made jokes about polygamy (I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman...and a woman, and a woman), so he kind of opened the door.

Calandria said...

That's an interesting point, Dave. If they believe in the Book of Mormon, then they should be able to call themselves Mormons. But it does cause confusion when unknowing people associate those groups with the so-called "mainstream" Mormon church, because most people do know us by that name, rather than as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Maybe I overreacted to this cartoon. Maybe it's good for Mitt Romney to make jokes about polygamy. Maybe I should too rather than getting worked up about it. Romney said something pretty funny when asked about the concern that some evangelical ministers have that endorsing him would encourage people to join the Church. He said something along the lines of, "So having a Mormon president is going to make people long to give up 10 percent of their income, alcohol, coffee and tea? How about when they find out they only get to sleep with their wife (singular)?"

ave said...

Hmm, I am still offended by the cartoon, even after reading everyone's insightful posts. It screams ignorance to me, and is just plain asinine.

Dave said...

I think that enough Americans know that "regular" Mormons don't practice polygamy that maybe it's true we should - as Romney has apparently decided to do - laugh it off.

And per your comments over at my blog: yes, we're old. But Still Kickin'!!

ML said...

Maybe as we age we get more selective on what to get worked up about...and it's "Latter-day Saints"--not that it matters...yawn.