Friday, April 13, 2007

hair talk--feel free to skip this post


I know, it looks really dark. I was still coloring it this morning when J went to work, so here it is, Honey. What do you think?
The thing is, a week from now it will be so much lighter. After washing it a few times and exposing it to the sun, it will lighten up so that it is only a tad darker than my natural shade, a medium ash brown. And then after 4-6 weeks, it will lighten up so much that the roots will grow in darker than the rest of the hair. Why does that happen? I've been told that coloring your hair does not damage it. So why does it get lighter? I expect the dye to fade, but the surprising thing is when my hair ends up turning lighter than its natural shade, and brassy. I can't stand the medium ash roots contrasted with the brassy rest of it. Ye of the hair wisdom, why happeneth this?

7 comments:

Karen ~ said...

I cannot shed light on why this happeneth, but I can offer a recommendation - I have fallen in love with Clairol Root Touch-Up:
http://www.clairol.com/brand/root_touchup/how.jsp?hf=
I use it between my attempts at hair coloring and it is amazing how welleth it matches.

mom said...

hello, beautiful daughter. I think it looks very nice.

Lizzy said...

I hate that this happens. I would love to have dark red hair, but it only lasts a few weeks and then I have yellow red for the next year, till it all grows out. My sister, who dies her hair every other week, says that the solution you put on actually strips your natural color away so that the dye can take it's place. Then the dye wears off and you are left with your bleached, stripped hair. It looks good now, though.

sippinghotchocolate said...

aw shucks, as long as you look cute, who cares! :)

Auntie Lee said...

I know what you mean. I got tired of coloring mine but when I stop and the gray starts coming in people say I look tired. I have been using a temporary wash for just the roots which is a nice alternative. You just wash it in and it keeps the roots looking nice for about a week or so. It is also nice if you are going out and want a color boost fast.

ave said...

Why don't you grow out the ash brown and highlight it, much less to keep up. The roots do grow in but there isn't the contrast like an all over dye, and highlights make one's skin look brighter. However, I do love the dark on you. It is dramatic and somehow charming. You look like a little Irish girl.

Calandria said...

thanks for the compliments and suggestions, guys! they were actually very helpful. I didn't realize that permanent hair color strips away your natural color--so that makes sense then. The die fades away and your left with stripped, lighter hair. Maybe I'll have to go with the semi-permanent stuff (which doesn't strip my natural color, right?) until it all grows out. I had thought about the highlights, ave, but I so admire dark hair.