Sunday, April 22, 2007

hrh



Yesterday Bernie went to a princess-themed birthday tea party and she got to dress up as a princess. We stopped on the way to the party to pick up a gift (I often do it that way because then I don't have to hear too much "Now what can I get for me?" because it's time to rush off to the party). Bernie got lots of smiles at Target. She skipped along behind me holding up the skirt because this Cinderella dress is too big for her. We got in line to pay and there was this boy in front of us who was probably a little younger than Bernie, maybe around four. He turned around and gasped when he saw Bernie. "A princess!" he blurted and ran up to her. He stared at her, open-mouthed, and asked, "Are you a princess?"
Bernie giggled and with the slightest touch of condescension said, "I'm not a real princess. I'm going to a party and that's why I'm dressed up." The boy continued to gawk. At first his mom was like, "Oh, how cute," but then eventually she said, "O.k.! C'mon back over here." But the boy would not be torn away easily. As his mom pulled him out of the store he kept looking back at Bernie.
She had a great time at the party and is determined that her party, in three weeks, will also be a princesses' tea party.

6 comments:

Karen ~ said...

Oh what fun to have daughters and princess dresses!

Mallory said...

That's it! For my friend's next birthday party it's gonna be princess themed. I call her that all the time. So let it be written, so let it be done!

Oh, and Bernie might as well get used to guys gawking at her. And admitting to being a princess can be embarrassing sometimes, but it's just the way things are.

sippinghotchocolate said...

what is she talking about that she's not a real princess? she is a princess!

ave said...

Bernie has changed over the winter. She looks more like Lidia now I think. What a lovely idea, princess tea parties. I would have given anything to go to such an event when I was a child. I used to pretend I was one when I dressed up in your ratty purple and white tutu and purple satin leotard. Where were WalMart and Target when we were kids?

ML said...

What a beauty!

Vanessa said...

She is downright adorable!!!