Monday, April 16, 2007

should-but-can't reads

I'm supposed to be cleaning (read: digging out) my laundry room right now but took a break to ask this pressing question: What books have you attempted to read because they come so highly recommended, but had to stop because you just couldn't get into them? I've started Tale of Two Cities at least a half dozen times, each time thinking, "O.k., this time I'm really finishing it." Most recently I tried to read the fifth Harry Potter and couldn't get beyond a few chapters.

What are your should-but-can't reads?

Or what about books you think you should like because so-and-so does, but you read it and you're like, "this is terrible?"

Maybe I'll have a minute tomorrow to post about Brideshead Revisited. I finished it today.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Guns, Germs, and Steel, by Jared Diamond. I've tried to read that several times, both in print and as an audiobook. I've never gotten through the first hundred pages. I find it deathly boring.

It's funny how different these are for different people. I found the 5th Harry Potter fine (not the best, but definitely readable), and I can see what you mean about TTC but I did get thru it (in audiobook).

I never would have gotten thru Hunchback of Notre Dame if it weren't for audiobook so I could zone out on the lengthy descriptions of architecture.

ave said...

I started Kite Runner, and found it too disturbing to finish. I have tried to read The Virginian, lately and put it back on the shelf. Often if I am desperate for a new series, (I particularly like series) I will listen to the first book on tape or mp3 so that I can "get into it". Once I have done this, then I can usually read the next book without feeling bored. I don't think I would have read all of Middlemarch, but it was wonderful to listen to. I'm with Dave, its nice to zone out sometimes when listening.

Auntie Lee said...

I started Ulysses by James Joyce and although I know it is often the most unfinished book for everyone I see it more as a 'read in progress'. I have not finished it YET but when I have a few weeks I continue to read a little from it therefore I WILL finish it or die depending on what happens first.
The only book I have not finished and do not intend to is; The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie. I find most Rushdie novels boring but this one was a kockah. Even if the book fit within Rushdie's usual magic realistic style it would still be BORING.

sippinghotchocolate said...

i tried to read aristotle. now there's someone who can put you to sleep. a tale of two cities is one of my favourites but i have to admit that i am not a fan of dickens' lengthen sentences and i hate that hugo tried to write a history text as well as a novel in one book.