Thursday, June 28, 2007

marcus turns 7




He had his party at this place with giant inflatable play structures. He's been to a few parties there and I think what he found most fascinating was the enormous inflated throne the birthday child gets to sit on. When we went to the party room after the play time, instead of eating his pizza at the table with the other kids, he jumped right up on the throne and remained there for the rest of the party. His loyal subjects got to take turns sitting beside him. I think he had a great time, and the kids were very generous with their gifts. Too generous, I think. I would have felt more comfortable with simpler, less expensive gifts, but of course Marcus loved them.

When people would call to RSVP and say things like, "Well! So it's a [insert name of inflatable place] party! That's quite something!" I would start apologizing all over the place. "Yes, it's what he really wanted but we don't do big parties every year..." and so on. Of course the graceful thing to say would have been, "Yes, we're so glad you can come" or whatever but I seriously felt embarrassed about giving a big, expensive party when there are children in this world living in poverty.
So this didn't even begin to be an expensive party compared to some thing we've seen. And I have to admit I did a little happy dance inwardly when Marcus first said he longed for one of these parties. They do everything. Police the kids on the play structures, organize games with them, serve them pizza, cut and serve the cake, oversee the gift opening, write down the list of gifts and givers for thank you note reference (this last one which, one attending father observed, is worth about a hundred bucks right there). And they clean it all up. You just sit back and relax (or in my case, snap photos) and write out the check at the end.
If we really cared to build character in our son, we would have done a Feed My Starving Children party. Oh well. I guess he'll have to have his character built another year. This year he was too busy sitting on his throne.
[Edit: I just showed my children the FMSC website. I really talked it up for a future birthday. Georgie didn't comment, but Lidia and Marcus both said it did not interest them. So much for character!]

7 comments:

Mallory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mallory said...

Happy Birthday, oh mighty king Marcus! I hope it was a noble one!

Mark and Carla said...

You can comfort yourself with the knowledge that a child's character isn't developed (or ruined) in just one afternoon. It is formed over time, with patience and love, which you, of course, are doing!

I LOVE the "sit back and relax" mode. We had a couple of parties at Chuck E. Cheese's, which I absolutely LOATHE, for that very reason. I think the inflatable throne is hilarious. Honestly, who hasn't had a mental image of themselves that way at some point?!

Happy birthday!

Montserrat said...

I happen to like the inflatable throne too! What I wouldn't give to be able to have a "sit back and relax" party for the kids. Until then we'll have to make do with hide and seek in the sagebrush. :D

ML said...

I love the picture of you and M! Good grief girl--you look like you could be his big sister!

Calandria said...

thanks, ml. :-)

athena said...

i was going to say the same thing as ml! only that i was going to say, who's that cute gal with marcus!

looks like a fun place for parties. if they had one here i would put one on for me! hehe, can you imagine me sitting on that throne? ;)