Wednesday, July 25, 2007

potter envy

I really should be packing since I leave in a few hours. But I'm so tired. I had to take a break.

I don't think the Harry Potter books are the greatest thing ever. I think they are pretty good. I read the first two and listened to the third on audio book. I really enjoyed the audio book. I saw the fourth movie, and then tried to read book 5 last spring in an attempt to bring me up to date for the release of book 7. I couldn't get into book 5. I found it boring. Friends have since told me that that's because I skipped book 4--seeing the movie evidently doesn't count. You need to read book 4 to get into book 5, they told me.

Anyway, since I have a lot of painting in the house to do, I will probably listen to the audio books when I get back. But what I've been feeling the past couple weeks is Potter envy. Everyone talked about it. The excitement and anticipation were palpable. Most of the people I know spent the weekend reading it, and I felt envious. I envied them their pleasurable reading. I really have no idea what it's like to look forward so much to the release of a book. I also feel left out. In fact, maybe that's the problem more than the envy. I feel totally left out. Like a little beggar girl staring in through the window at sumptuous festivities.

Ok, so maybe that was over the top.

I wish that for this past weekend I had planned some sort of anti-Harry bash. Why didn't I think of that earlier? All of my good ideas come too late. I could have invited... ...

I do have one friend who I know wasn't reading Harry 7 over the weekend, and I bet if she hadn't been at a feis in Milwaukee, she would have come to my party.

Here's what I'm taking to read in Europe: Inkspell and Becoming Jane Austen.

9 comments:

athena said...

i'm not a big harry potter fan, but i have liked reading the books. there are some gems in there, i think. i laugh about all the hub-bub when the books first came out. remember the essays about how christians ought not to be reading them because they're all about spells, wizards and witches. sheesh, some folks really have no imagination. wind down and enjoy yourself.

athena said...

i ought to edit my posts. what i meant to say is that i didn't mean that you didn't have any imagination---i was referring to the christian folks who were shunning harry potter and his ilk to the dungeons (very christian). LOL.

enjoy your trip!

Calandria said...

don't worry--i didn't think you were referring to me with "wind down and enjoy yourself". i had forgotten about the big magic/spells and such hooha. how funny! but for some people, i think that is HOW they enjoy themselves. christians might get in a snit about harry potter, non-christians might get freaked about "in God we trust" on the coins. some people just get off on it.

Montserrat said...

I've quite enjoyed the Harry Potter books because they are fun reads - nothing to deep to work my brain but something to enjoy when I need a little break.

Enjoy your trip!

Karen ~ said...

Well, any envy you feel for me for being so in to the HP books is miniscule compared to the envy I feel for you, heading off to galavant around Europe ... it all evens out in the end!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but you are dead to me now.-dtv

ave said...

JW has been reading his book 7 and DTV finished his copy on Sunday! I must admit to feeling left out too, I am waiting until the library gets the audiobook. I find that I enjoy most books much better when I am read to.

nestle said...

yeah I'm one of those fans who if my kids hadn't been asleep I would have been at the town party the local town threw. Down town alexandria was turned into diagon ally. Very very cool. So I also finished 7 on Sunday. I totally giggle at those who are against the books because of witches and wizards and stuff. All I can say to those people is sleeping beauty, snow white,cinderella and EVERY OTHER FAIRY TALE. Sad and deprived children.

Mallory said...

Hahaha! Oh my gosh, when I read DTV's comment, I couldn't help but crack up. He would be into them! Haha! No, no, I like them too. They are way fun to read. Unfortunately, I don't own the first 6, so I can't just buy the last one. Not until I own the first 6. Either buy them in order, all at once, or not at all. (Go ahead, call me OCD.) But my neighbor has it and has promised that after another friend finishes it, it's all mine. I'm a fairly slow reader too, unlike Kaitlyn, who finished it in what, 2 days. Something like that. So if I'm going to get it done, I had better do it before school starts, or I'll have it forever.