Friday, August 10, 2007

july 26-27 dublin trinity college

On July 27 after J's meeting, we toured Trinity College which houses the Book of Kells, an illustrated manuscript that some consider to be the best work of art from the Middle Ages. Trinity College has some beautiful buildings and, surprisingly, some really ugly ones!

The Book of Kells exhibit was fascinating and inspiring. Fascinating because it was so interesting to learn how these 9th century monks perfected this art, and inspiring because I kept thinking about how the best art we have in this world (at least in my opinion) has come from a desire to give glory to God.

2 comments:

Montserrat said...

I agree about the best art coming from a desire to give glory to God. The Book of Kells definitely captures my interest. As a teenager I was really into creating letters that looked like they belonged in a bible written by monks. You know the kind with pictures and designs around the letter (I can't for the life of me remember what they are called!).

Glad you are back safe and sound. Can't wait to read more about your travels and to see pictures!

athena said...

i agree about the best works of art coming from a desire to give glory to god too. i see a lot of stuff today and i have to scratch my head. i am amazed with the dedication it took to create such books of art like this too.