Tuesday, September 18, 2007

carne mechada


O.k., here is what I did to make the beef filling for the arepas:


3 lbs. beef roast (I don't remember what cut I used)

2 T or so oil, divided use

1 red pepper, diced

1 large white onion, diced

1 heaping T minced garlic

1 small can petite-diced tomatoes

1/2 tsp cumin

dash of red pepper

black pepper and salt to taste (I made it pretty salty because the arepas don't have much salt)


Brown roast on all sides in oil. Remove from pan and slow cook in crock pot until very tender. Remove and shred beef with two forks. Heat oil in large black skillet. Add onion and pepper and cook until onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and seasonings. Add shredded beef. Stir. Turn heat down to low and simmer 20 minutes. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary.

3 comments:

Karen ~ said...

OK, I'm drooling. Not a pretty site.

Montserrat said...

Much better! Thanks for the recipe.

amity said...

Flank steak is the traditional cut for carne mechada.

I'm hungry, now.