Wednesday, September 12, 2007

stolen


Last night we went to Christos, one of our favorite restaurants. It's Greek. We went with people from J's work and had a great time. We got there about 6:30 and came out of the restaurant at almost 9. Someone had broken the window of our car and taken my purse. I was so dumb to leave it in the front seat.

There was just a little cash in my purse. Yes, my cel was there but it's an old one that's often on the fritz. I had to get a new one anyway. I wanted a new purse too so here's my opportunity. It was a pain to cancel the credit cards and now I need a new driver's license, but no biggie. I also need to figure out what checks I had left in my check book. However, the thief didn't try to use my credit cards so probably won't bother with the checks. Yes, and I know I have to watch out for identity theft. But really, the biggest annoyance will be getting our window replaced.

But just imagine that poor thief when he (I'm assuming it was a he) opened the purse and found no cash. He must have been so disappointed. Now how's he going to pay the drug dealer? And what if he hurt himself breaking our window? I wonder what he used to break it. Did he leave his home with a hammer already planning to break a car window? Did he notice my purse in the front seat of the car and think to himself, "Here's my chance," and then for something with which to break the window?

6 comments:

Julie said...

I'm sorry to hear about this. That's too bad. I'm impressed about how you are thinking of the person who did this. It really makes you wonder, doesn't it?

(Also, you don't need a password to view my blog anymore. You should just be able to click on the link in my profile.) :-)

Calandria said...

i'm afraid my concern is about 1/4 earnest and 3/4 jest. :-)

Mama Ava said...

He got nothing from you--because his compatriot over here got EVERYTHING from me--my new camera, my purse, my wallet, $600. So it all balances out. They assuaged their guilt by dropping my atm and credit cards and driver's licenses in a mail box so I got those back. And don't ask why I was carrying such a huge amount of $ around. You have to here--in a cash economy where you get all your money from an atm, it's what you do.

I feel your pain! I was almost hysterical when it happened, but I'm apparently part of the "if you live here long enough you'll get robbed" club!

Montserrat said...

That's one of those experiences I hope to never have. Though, really, if it did happen I'd want to be a robbery like yours.

Auntie Lee said...

Our car has been broken into 5 times in the past 10 years. Averages once per 2 years so its about time it was done again. What really irritates me about that is we never leave anything in the car so they never get anything but do 1000- euros in damage to the car. They seem to enjoy braking the window in.

Our biggest problem are the side mirrors. The kids like to kick them off as they bicycle down the street at 2 in the morning. That happens about once a year.

Mama Ava said...

Mirrors here a big deal, too. And the car logo. They need to be rivited on. And any shiny trim. And windshields. For a long time, people etched their license plate numbers on all their windows to ID them when they were stolen and then resold.