Saturday, October 13, 2007

smarterful

[Edit: I forgot to report on my hugging the kids and telling them I love them every day goal! I did pretty well, though that eldest daughter still escapes me sometimes. :-)]

This week was so much better than last.
I loved reading with my children this week. I used to read to them a lot but stopped for some reason. The past year or two our reading together has been less frequent. I need to do this because it is one way we can connect. I'm not always great at connecting with my children. I struggle to start meaningful conversations with them. I'm not good at getting them to work with me like J does. I don't like to play with them. But reading? That I can do. We've even done a lot of reading in Spanish, which they usually object to. Now that we're reading more in English they are more accepting of Spanish reading time.
Other habits:
Make dinner: Did it! I even tried some new recipes like taco soup and English muffin pizzas, both big hits with my family.
Daily writing: I didn't do well on this, actually. Also, this will be the last time I post on SMART Saturday about this habit. I'm going to be doing something new with it.
Violin practice: Didn't do it every day, but almost.
Clean speech: Doing well.
No new habits this week.

7 comments:

Cocoa said...

So what books are you reading together?

Kassie said...

Great habit to work on. It's probably has more impact than most. Good luck!

Rebecca said...

I enjoy reading to my kids but it's also an easy thing for me to forget about. Have a great week!

Calandria said...

Cocoa, we get big stacks of books from the library and I go through those with my two youngest. My 5 yr old daughter loves fairy tales. My 7-yr-old son prefers anything nonfiction that has to do with science. I'm reading the book 21 Balloons with my 9 yr old daughter and the 7 yr old. We love this one! Very exciting and outrageous.

Calandria said...

Oh, and Cocoa, next on our list is Little Britches. A favorite of yours, right?

The Lazy Organizer said...

We love little britches too. I need to get the rest off the series for my kids. Great habits!

jenn said...

hope you are having a SMART week and enjoying the time spent reading with the kids. i love that you are playing the violin. i think it is so important to have something you love just for yourself. take care