Thursday, November 15, 2007

eclipse: do i like it or not?

Ave, my straightforward sister was not satisfied with my post about Eclipse. She wants to know if I liked it or not.

I feel like if I said either way, I'd have to qualify it. I did like it, but man! That Bella really annoyed me. She was weak and drippy, though worse than that, given to over self-analysis. I realize that may seem hypocritical coming from me, the queen of navel-gazing, but just because I do it does not mean I tolerate it in others. Also, I simply cannot sympathize with her passion for Edward. I have never been attracted to men who are better looking than I am. Maybe it's vanity, I don't know. No, I think very handsome men tend to be boring. I've always liked men who make me laugh. (I have to say I had no problem with the love triangle, because I was rooting for the ethnic one with the big smile. Probably no surprise there.) Also, Edward came off as smug, self-righteous, and controlling.

So then maybe I didn't like it. But! I did drop everything to read these books. True, I did not purchase them. I waited my turn for library copies of the first two and then borrowed the last. But I kept turning those pages. I thought the suspense was pretty good and I appreciated the action. I liked all the vampire and werewolves stuff.

Does that answer your question, Ave? :-)

6 comments:

k. said...

Sadly, I thought at first that you were talking about Eclipse the Java IDE (Integrated Development Environment). I was very confused. =)

Mallory said...

I agree with you about drippy, annoying girls. They seem to be peppered throughout literature. Not just girls either, but some men as well. What is the deal? Good grief, can we not write about strong, sound-minded, straightforward people anymore? Or ever, for that matter? That's it, I'm writing a blog on it.

Cocoa said...

I read all three books in about as many days. I enjoyed the first book but by the time I got to the end of the last book I was rather disgusted with Bella. I wanted the werewolf to win out!!

athena said...

i haven't read it. can't be bothered. francoise has. and she was bothered. told me she hated the story (or maybe it was twilight). something about weak females. she preferred the female characters shannon hales wrote in her stories.

ML said...

I also found Bella to be annoying. Meyers happened on a good plot idea, but I thought her writing was somewhat tedious (i.e., if I had to read "his eyes tightened" one more time I was going to start ripping pages!).

ave said...

I love, love, loved Edward. Sigh. I love to look at pretty people (even if they are prettier then I am, which is often the case.) Bella is annoying, but I found most annoying her wandering heart. The ethnic big smile boy irritated me badly as well.