Saturday, November 24, 2007

frida


This morning Mom, Jorge, and I went to the Walker for the Frida Kahlo exhibit. It is really sad what she suffered physically and emotionally. She was in almost constant physical pain, sometimes terrible pain, because of injuries sustained in a bus accident as a girl. She was obsessed with Diego Rivera and his awful infidelities, including an affair with her sister, tortured her. She longed to bear children but suffered several miscarriages. It amazed me how she was able to turn this pain into beauty. Some of Kahlo's self-portraits are brutal but in all of them she has the same composed, direct expression. I wonder if she really transcended her pain to the extent that she appears to in the paintings. Was she that stoic? I read something that stated that Frida led a "full and passionate life." She was obviously passionate, but I think a major theme in her paintings is that her life was not full. Her dreams were thwarted.
I'm interested in reading more about her.

1 comment:

ave said...

Her paintings are very absorbing and disturbing. I'm glad that you all got to go.