Wednesday, December 12, 2007

coraline


"It is the most splendidly original, weird, and frightening book I have read, and yet full of things children will love." ~Diana Wynne Jones


"It has the delicate horror of the finest fairy tales, and it is a materpiece." ~Terry Pratchett


It was the second quote from Terry Pratchett that caught my attention when I glanced at the back of this book. I love fairy tales. Right now Lidia and I are reading H.C. Anderson's original stories. On the page after the dedication in British author Neil Gaiman's Coraline, there is a G.K. Chesterton quote: "Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."


Coraline is very original, and definitely creepy. Yes, it made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, but this is my kind of horror. Delicate horror. And it has meaning. It is highly entertaining to read, but at the end you feel that you've learned something about courage and facing your deepest fears.


Lidia listened to it on audiobook and loved it. Every time I had to tear her away from it for chores or shopping or whatever, she'd say, "But it's at the best part! Really, this time it's the very best part!"


Highly recommended.

5 comments:

Cocoa said...

Oooo sounds like one my girls would LOVE!

Gabriela said...

I'm intrigued! I'll have to check it out.

Gabriela said...

Wow, you post a lot! I just found the one where you mentioned me and our common toe-breaking experience. Thanks for the link.

your party at church looked like a success-Activity co-chair is on my short list of dreaded callings along with nursery leader and YW president.

I could totally go for some tamales. Yum!

ave said...

That is one of DTV's favorite books. The quote from Terry Pratchett makes me want to read it, if you haven't read any of Terry Pratchett's books you should start with "Amazing Maurice and His House Full of Rodents". This is the first in the diskworld children's series.

dtv said...

This is indeedy one of my favorite books. It's being made into a stop montion movie by Henry Selick,the director of James and the Giant Peach and Nightmare Before Christmas! I can think of nobody better for it.