Sunday, December 09, 2007

mormons have cooties

We got our cable fixed a few weeks ago, so now I do something I have avoided in the past. I occasionally watch CNN.

I don't know why I do this. Everyone on that channel wears too much makeup and thinks too highly of themselves. They blather on. They get very snarky. Lou Dobbs.

It seems that every time I've turned on that station lately they've been talking about Mitt Romney and his Mormon problem. I'm sure you've all heard this about evangelicals not liking Mitt because he's Mormon, at least according to CNN.

If I have to hear the anchors and commentators and pundits and whoevers of CNN talk anymore about how secretive and strange Mormons are, how the majority of people would not vote for a Mormon, how worried people are that a Mormon president will be politically influenced by the prophet, and how Mitt Romney--comma--Mormon--comma must address this if he expects people to vote for him, I think I'm going to go bonkers.

I know. I shouldn't watch.

Anyway, here's who loves us: Naomi Shaeffer Riley of the Wall Street Journal. One of my favorite Journal writers. Here's what she said in What Iowans Should Know about Mormons:

The young men and women at Brigham Young University are among the smartest, hardest-working and most pleasant college kids you will find anywhere. (For better or worse, I have visited dozens of college campuses.) The student body lives by the Mormon principle: "The glory of God is intelligence."

Thank you, Naomi!

And here is Peggy Noonan, who writes about Romney's faith speech in Mormon in America:

Mr. Romney gave the speech Thursday morning. How did he do?

Very, very well. He made himself some history. The words he said will likely have a real and positive impact on his fortunes. The speech's main and immediate achievement is that foes of his faith will now have to defend their thinking, in public. But what can they say to counter his high-minded arguments? "Mormons have cooties"?

11 comments:

ave said...

ya know, I have just given up defending or explaining my religion to "Evangelicals". I had some freinds of that faith over tonight for supper, and no matter how many times JW and I tell them about how we are Christians, because we believe in Jesus Christ as our savior, they still call us "the Mormons" and tell us that we pretty much aren't Christians. Of course all this is presented to us in a pretty pink package with a bow, but whatever. I'm done. They liken us to the Jews, and Catholics, seperate from the mainstream and not Christian. What can one do? I guess I just need to get more comfortable with feeling religious alienation.

athena said...

romney's speech was excellent. i like his stance on the importance of the family too. whenever he or his wife spoke about the family i knew it was something they knew a lot about because of his role as a bishop and stake president. what better training could one have to speak on the importance of family! i like that he is positive and is all about building the strength of this country too. i think to not choose romney for a candidate for presidency is just as bad as choosing him because he is mormon.

athena said...

correction. i think to not choose romney for a candidate for presidency because he is mormon is just as bad as choosing him because he is mormon.

ave said...

i agree with athena.

Cocoa said...

I missed the speech and still haven't gotten around to reading it. But I have read several pundits articles and so far they all thought he hit a home run. I really need to go read it.

Cocoa said...

Oh and we have several churches here in town that openly write opinions in our town paper on how the Mormons aren't Christian blah, blah, blah. Yet every year the town's Ministerial Association (of which our Stake President is a member) holds an interfaith Thanksgiving dinner and Eater morning service all at our stake center because it is the biggest church building in town. They come and worship with us and then the next day go back to their usual pecking. We just roll our eyes. I don;t think they realize how foolish they appear.

Cocoa said...

That should be Easter morning service, not eater. :-)

Karen ~ said...

Well at my book club meeting this week the question of the evening was how can Romney be Mormon if he is so rich?

Huh?

I am not Mormon, and I was as confused as you are ... this woman said she thought all Mormons were required to give ALL their money to the church. She was quite surprised to learn that Mormons can actually manage their own money much like everyone else ....

Auntie Lee said...

It is moments like these that make me glad not to be in the States. It sounds like Romney is really ruffling wings. Not much conversation here either way about him or any other candidate for that matter. Its all really rediculous anyway. Both Bushes go to church every sunday and no one asked what their faith was. Maybe if someone did we would'nt keep going to war.

The prime minister of this country was elected because he kept talking about restoring family values and the like. So far his party has been doing the total opposite. You can't put much salt into anything they say until they are elected anyway.

Auntie Lee said...

Besides I don't think my cooties hurt anyone anyway!

Calandria said...

Karen, that's so funny. Maybe a Mormon told her that to explain why their family didn't have much money, or something.