Friday, December 07, 2007

Sleigh Ride



Yesterday a friend who plays horn for the Minnesota Orchestra got us into a "Young People's Concert" as his guest. The orchestra does this series of weekday morning concerts for children. I tried to get tickets but they were sold out. Here is the program:

ANDERSON
Sleigh Ride
PROKOFIEV
Lieutenant Kijé Suite, Troika
TCHAIKOVSKY
"Russian Dance" and "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" from The Nutcracker
MOZART
The Sleighride, No. 3 from Three German Dances
HUMPERDINCK
Evening Prayer from Hansel and Gretel
STRAUSS
Overture to Die Fledermaus
TRADITIONAL
Brazilian Sleigh Bells
BEETHOVEN
Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Choral,Finale: featuring elementary school violinists as ‘choir’


Christmas music is my favorite. I love anything named "Sleighride," and I was ecstatic to hear the Mozart and Anderson pieces played by the orchestra. I'd never heard "Brazilian Sleigh Bells" and that was a lot of fun. Everyone was dancing in their seats! Dancers performed with the Nutcracker pieces and the audience favorite was the little acrobat girl in the Russian dance. The Strauss piece was a rousing march we got to clap to in certain parts and that also went over big.

My favorite was "Evening Prayer from Hansel and Gretel." We've seen the complete opera twice, last year with Georgie and Lidia, again thanks to tickets our friend gave us. The above photo shows the spirits of the forest portrayed by the Heart of the Beast puppets, who watch over Hansel and Gretel as they sleep. A few of the puppets were there yesterday and a brother and sister played Hansel and Gretel.

I don't know what it is about this piece, but every time I hear it I start crying. It's embarrassing. I've even heard it a couple times in the car and I've had to turn it off because I can't see through the tears to drive. I'm not sure that I've ever heard another piece of music that reminds me more of Heavenly Father's love for His children.

No comments: