Friday, December 14, 2007

submarine


In Georgie's science class the assignment was to make a "submarine," I think along the lines of a cartesian diver. Georgie made hers out of a pill bottle. She duct-taped a weight to the bottom and put marbles inside. Her teacher said it was the best-designed she'd ever seen.

Naturally I would have liked to include a photo of the engineer in this post. Georgie refused to let me take a picture of her. She said that all the photos I take of her turn out awful. I beg to differ. My proof: a beautiful photo of a beautiful girl.

So Georgie doesn't let me take her photo, she often will not wear a jacket to school, and she doesn't eat as much breakfast as I would like. She will be thirteen on March 1st and I guess this behavior comes with the age. (Who knew that teenagers are resistant to cold?) However, in almost every other respect we admire Georgie and are profoundly grateful for the example she's setting. She is making some wonderful friends at her new school. She thinks seventh grade is great. (?!) She enjoys her classes (though she would prefer to be studying real history instead of social studies) and she's getting excellent grades. She loves math team and she's taking high school algebra. She becomes more and more interested in cello and practices a lot. Too much, almost. She is civil to her siblings and doesn't complain when we ask her to babysit. She likes to be at home.

She is consistently making choices that will open exciting opportunities in her future. J and I would like to take credit for raising her to be this way, but we think it's more of an "in spite of" situation. And in the past year we've seen that our influence on Georgie has become negligible. I think her biggest influence for good in the past year has been her Young Women's group at church. The leaders and the other girls, especially the older ones. It's a small group, but a powerful one! Around Thanksgiving we were talking, rather casually, about what we are grateful for. Georgie said she was most grateful for her YW leaders and friends. She said she could not imagine life without them. She said words to the effect that the leaders were "really high quality." It was J's turn next to say what he was most grateful for, and he said, "Well, I guess right now I'm feeling most grateful for Georgie's YW leaders." We both teared up a little, reflecting on the selfless service of these leaders who have busy lives of their own. They love the girls, they love the gospel, and they magnify their calling.

The older girls in G's group move on to college next year and she will miss them dreadfully. It's not like they have gone out of their way to make G their best friend or anything. There is a big gap between twelve and seventeen. However, they've been friendly and included her. More than anything, their example of embracing all that is virtuous, of good report, and praiseworthy has had a profound effect on G.

If these are typical teenagers, I'll take a dozen.

4 comments:

ave said...

I'm so proud of Georgie! I recall a certain sister I have did not wear socks to school for at least two of her highschool years. I also remember copying this odd behavior and standing outside in winter at SeDoMoCha Jr. High freezing because my feet were numb inside their penny loafers. Sound familiar?

Auntie Lee said...

Yes, sounds very familiar to me. Oh the memories.

Also the bit about not taking pictures but for me that comes from a different place…Megan. We went a year or so without any pictures of her then I gave her the camera and told her I wanted pictures of her. It became the thing to do with her friends when they came over. Now I have lots of pictures of her. I think the biggest reason is so they had pictures to put up on the net. We won't let her put recent pictures or pictures that look like her on the internet so she uses baby pictures and photoshoed pictures. She's gotten pretty good with photoshop. At least I have pictures of her.
Now the problem is getting the things printed (I always forget).

Mama Ava said...

You should be very proud of Georgie! Her school can be quite tough to navigate socially--so large and girls can be quite catty. The fact that she feels so confident is great at her age! Clearly she's got a sense of purpose and direction that can be so often missing at her age. It's great to hear about her!

Auntie Lee said...

Oh I am glad she has found her feet at her school. M. also goes to a school like that. She does well but it is still a worry. You never know how kids can be. I think the girls will be ok if they feel good about themselves. She should be proud of her work.