Thursday, January 10, 2008

book group list 2008

A friend reminded me that I haven't posted the list of titles my book group is reading this year. I am so excited about the picks for 2008! Tuesday night we met to discuss "Wit," a play by Margaret Edson. I love plays but prefer to see them performed, so I saw the film with Emma Thompson. She was amazing in it. It's about a professor of literature who is diagnosed with stage four ovarian cancer.

Here's the rest of the year:
F- Nine Parts of Desire: The hidden world of Islamic women by Geraldine Brooks
M- How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn
A-Two Income Trap: Why Middle Class Parents are Going Broke by Elizabeth Warren and Amelia Warren Tyagi
M-Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
J-A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
J-Supercapitalism: The Transformation of Business, Democracy, and Everyday Life by Robert R. Reich
A-Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World by Jennifer Armstrong
S-The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather
O-David O McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism by Gregory A. Prince and Wm Robert Wright
N-A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vaunaken

2 comments:

LaDonnaMobile said...

Good book choices! Ulrich is one of my favorite authors--anything she writes is a great pick!

Karen ~ said...

Thanks for the list! Other than Tree in Brooklyn I haven't read any of them - so fun to get new ideas.