Wednesday, February 27, 2008

black gold



Thank you to Cocoa at Chocolate on My Cranium!


I have made these cookies twice now. I liked how they turned out better the first time. Probably because I didn't have "help" making them then. (How much flour did you put in? Um. I don't know. 5 or 6 tablespoons. Maybe.)


Both times I used all bittersweet chocolate because that's my favorite. I never use a double boiler--always just the micro. The first time I melted all the chocolate and added it to the egg mixture, and the second time I reserved some chips to put in after as the recipe directs.


These are the best chocolate cookies I've ever had.
Black Gold Cookies
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces, divided
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.In a double boiler that is set over medium heat stir together 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, the unsweetened chocolate, and butter until completely melted and smooth. Set aside until needed.In a mixer bowl beat together eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add the melted chocolate and mix until incorporated. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add the flour mixture and remaining 4 ounces semisweet chocolate and mix on low until just incorporated.Place heaping tablespoons of dough on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool to room temperature on the baking sheets. YUM!

9 comments:

athena said...

drool. :)

i think i have that recipe in my death by chocolate book.

must be time for me to get the recipe out too!

Gabriela said...

wow. those look good.

Ave said...

i would make those if i were feeling abitious, they look really good.

Cocoa said...

I also just use the microwave to melt the chocolate. They are sooooo good!

dtv said...

They do nothing for me, but I still love you.

Auntie Lee said...

I had a really yummy chocolate cake at the neighbors last week. I got her recipe and want to try it out. There is a huge amount of cocoa in it. If it works for me I'll translate it and send it on to you.

Ave said...

Auntie, let me know how that cake turns out. I am a chocolate cake snob and am always looking for better recipes!

ML said...

I want the cake recipe too Lee--it seems all the chocolate cakes I make just don't taste chocolaty enough to me.
The cookies look yummy. I think I'd better keep them in the "window shopping" category. :)

Auntie Lee said...

Will do, the only problem I can see is that American chocolate has more milk and wax in it than European chocolate. That may make a difference in the taste.