Saturday, February 02, 2008

president hinckley


That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day. (Doctrine and Covenants 50:24)

Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers. (Doctrine and Covenants 112:10)
These two scriptures from the Doctrine and Covenants (revelations to Joseph Smith) were mentioned during the funeral today as two of President Hinckley's favorite scriptures.
I'm so glad I got to see most of the funeral. I'll catch a rebroadcast to see the beginning. It was inspiring and humbling. I feel so grateful that I was able to have President Hinckley as the leader of the Church during my lifetime. This has been an incredible era, and while I am happy that President Hinckley is relieved of a 97-year-old body and reunited with his wife, I can't help but wonder, what's next?
God uses flawed mortals to do His work. He does not force the human mind. I know that all of our prophets have been great, each in his own way, but it is not every day that someone of President Hinckley's capacity comes along. He was a man of great strength and intellect, and yet he was so humble. He was of all impossible things, a pragmatic idealist. He made things happen. He was unfailingly positive.
I hope we continue to prosper.

1 comment:

ave said...

I don't remember ever reading those scriptures, I am going to mark them in my D&C, thanks!