Sunday, March 09, 2008

new york doll

[Edit: spoiler alert--there is a spoiler in the comments, just so you know.]

I'd been wanting to see this for a long time and we finally saw it last night. It's a documentary about Arthur "Killer" Kane, the bassist for the proto-punk group "New York Dolls" in the early 70's. The Dolls were becoming hugely popular but then fizzled out when their drug-laden lifestyle kept them from keeping up with performances. The documentary looks at Arthur Kane's new life as convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and his reunion with the group in 2004.


My favorite parts that I'd like to see over and over again: 1) Kane's description of what happened after he read the Book of Mormon. 2) When Kane walks out in one of the outfits he's designed himself for the performance.


Arthur Kane is such a gentle, sweet man. He's very endearing in the film. You've got to see it if you haven't!

10 comments:

Ave said...

i don't think i could watch it, the ending would be too sad.

Auntie Lee said...

I loved this documentary. The kids watched it but as a documentary there was no action and they were bored. "sigh"
I may be bias because I used to listen to the Dolls and still on occasion so I was curious as to what happened to all of them. Lots of great memories came back when I watched it so I'm not a reliable source.

John said...

I'm a bit older than the punk generation - I'm a hard rocker from the 60's. But I loved this documentary.
I saw it on one of the Encore channels several months. I liked it so much I immediately went to amazon.com and picked up copy.
I love David Johansen singing Poor Wayfaring Man at the end.
The extras on the DVD definitely make it worth buying.

Gabriela said...

huh, I'd never heard of it (or him). I'll have to check it out.

We went and saw Juno-I liked it but ended up crying a lot-even after the movie. We went out to dinner and I was still tearing up.

I think I'm still post-pardum.

ave-what happens??? Does he die?

Anonymous said...

YES!!!!! But, it is quick and takes him by surprise. Sorry for the spoiler, but I think that people who are going to watch something that could end up being heartwrenching should know what they are in for.
ave

Calandria said...

I didn't find it heartwrenching at all. I personally didn't think it was a sad ending to his life. It ended on a really positive note.

Gabriela, I cried a couple times during Juno too, but I guess I thougth it ended pretty well. What upset you about it?

Ave said...

I like the spoiler alert because of my comment. It makes me feel special and a little bit powerful.

Calandria said...

Ave, you ARE special and powerful. You are Super Ave! I might as well relinquish the tiny mite of influence I still wield on this blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh don't make me laugh, I have a sinus infection and it hurts to laugh. I love you.
ave

Auntie Lee said...

Are you still feeling under the weather Ave? I'd give your sinus infection a kiss but the visualization is just to gross.