Wednesday, March 12, 2008

tuesday and wednesday

This is what my life has been for the past two days! Lidia's Irish dance school is doing a slew of performances for St. Pat's. We are only going to ten of these, but there are many more than that. (Was it thirty-six, Fauna?) We did two schools and a nursing home yesterday. They did two performances at both schools. Today it was slightly easier with three nursing home performances. The whole "hurry up and wait" routine, as one mom termed it, gets a little tiring. We get everything together, including sock glue (yes, they glue the socks on--and we never found ours so we had to borrow), get the wig on with much wrangling of hair to get it to stay put and look pretty, and then dash off to the venue. Once we get there the parents wait around while Fauna runs through the program with the kids, figuring out who goes where in which dance. There is a different set of kids for every performance. Fauna did an amazing job of putting the schedule together to accommodate all of the children who want to perform. I'm surprised she didn't go nuts. Maybe she really did and we just don't know it yet. If so, she is hiding it well. She arrives everywhere with a big smile, trailing an entourage of be-wigged little girls she has managed to cram into her car. These are the adoring fans. She is always kind and pleasant, though I'm sure she is feeling absolutely exhausted and sick to death of making last-minute changes to the shows based on who makes it there.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if I nearly perished after two days of the St. Pat's tour, what is going to happen to Fauna after one week?

Lidia really enjoyed the performances. She especially loves the new Shamrock reel she does with the girls from her class. I saw it for the first time yesterday and it's beautiful. Sadly, it looks like I didn't get any photos of that one. Maybe Saturday or Monday.




8 comments:

Auntie Lee said...

Lidia's team definitely have the cutest dresses. Those other things are just ugly. Her dress looks more traditional. Those other dresses you see the hippies wearing at the Common Ground Fair (which is very cool at the fair but I don't see what they have to do with anything Irish).

Calandria said...

Lidia wears a school dress, which is like a uniform. The other girls are more advanced dancers and they wear solo dresses. Getting a solo dress is every little Irish dancer's dream! :-) At first I thought they were very gaudy, but they've grown on me.

Auntie Lee said...

You know with her going to schools and nursing homes she can use that for her Personal Progress as a service activity and or knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, those pictures are so adorable. I wish I was there to see it! The solo dresses do seem really over the top, but I guess they are supposed to be right?
ave

Cocoa said...

You've got to figure out how to take a video and post it for us! I love just about all things Irish. I don't know why. I definitely don't have it in my blood!

Anonymous said...

The school dress IS more attractive than the advanced student dresses and it just looks so good on Lidia. It's nice that she can learn Irish dancing with her Irish heritage.
...mum

Auntie Lee said...

It's all very ironic because traditionally the Irish didn't have enough money to have such frilly dresses. Its like a modern romantic version of the past.

Fauna said...

Reading all of your St. Pat's posts, and seeing the pics & videos has been fun! Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad that I appeared to be smiling and composed all week. Did I still look that way by Monday? ;-)

I'm impressed that you were able to get the video on your blog - way to blaze the trail calandria! Now all of us bloggers will probably want to follow in your footsteps... !