Friday, March 14, 2008

wigs, shoes, etc.




In the photo in the previous post, Lidia is wearing hard, or "hornpipe" shoes, while the other girls are wearing soft shoes, also called "ghillies." The hard shoes have a tap on the toe and are used for the hornpipe and other dances, while the soft shoes are used for the graceful slip jig and others.


I think wigs are used to create a uniform appearance in the performers. As weird as you may thing they look in photos, the wigs do look really cool with the bouncing movements of the dances. Wigs are also used for ease and practicality, believe it or not. Some people still may curl hair for competitions (feises), but I think that would be a royal pain. Those competitions start early in the morning. Lidia has a lot of hair and it would take me at least an hour to curl it. And then some girls have hair that is very difficult to curl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the little wigs. When I was a little girl I wanted my hair to look just like that.
ave

Gabriela said...

Wow. Irish dance school-I never knew such a thing existed. What fun!

I met a Lidia in real life today and thought of yours-the name is growing on me! (I know it's not her real name, but I still like it. Nice fake name choice!)