Sunday, April 20, 2008

bearded j



He was a good sport about posing and I like how these turned out.
But guess what? The beard's gone. I was sad when J told me that members of the high council in our stake must be clean-shaven. He thought I knew that. No. Why would I know or even suspect such a dumb, senseless thing?
J was gone to Mexico and then he had the work trip, so he didn't have to shave. But since he had to speak today in another ward, the beard had to go or he'd risk trouble with the stake president.
Whaaaaaaah! (Lucy Ricardo style. Although come to think of it, she didn't like Ricky's beard.)

7 comments:

dtv said...

That is awesome. I wish I could grow a beard.

Auntie Lee said...

He certainly looks different.

What a weird Stake pres. Ours has a beard.

athena said...

i like him with a beard too. very handsome! shame about the high counselmen not being able to wear them.

maybe i should get olivier to grow one.

Gabriela said...

He looks nice with a beard. Guapo always threatens me that he's going to grow one, but he never goes through with it (I have bad memories of my very hairy, very Italian dad with a beard) (not really BAD, I just never liked it). :)

It is a weird rule.

Anonymous said...

I like it. I have never been able to understand the whole no beard thing at church. Maybe it was the churches way to try to get away from the "old Mormon man with a very long beard look." Who knows, Jesus probably had a beard during his ministry, so I don't see the problem.

Auntie Lee said...

I think the church thing is a cultural thing. It's not a hard and fast rule but changes depending on the style and trend of the time. They just want men to look clean, respectable and have a general appearance of openness. This changes depending on what the style is at a particular time and place.

Mallory said...

That's true. I think the thing with a beard goes back not so far, but more like a few decades ago when the vast majority of bearded fellows were hippies. They've been coming back though - the well-groomed ones, thank goodness!

You wanna hear a weird rule? Here on campus, guys cannot grow beards, but they can grow mustaches as long as they keep them trimmed to the corners of their mouths. So, no, they can't have beards, but they can have the facial hair of a pedophile. That'll give the church a good name.

I think he looks good with a beard.