Friday, May 16, 2008

highly recommended


Ok, Meg, I've got a weekend movie for you. Actually, I recommend it for everyone and for any time of day or night! We saw "Bella" last night, and it's one of the best films I've seen recently.


Writer/director/producer Alejandro Gomez Monteverde and actor/producer Eduardo Verastegui are from Tamualipas, the state in Mexico where J was born and raised. They formed Metanoia films a few years ago with the intention of making films that uplift and inspire. "Metanoia" means "conversion" in Greek, and these filmmakers decided to pursue this path after experiencing a renewal in their Catholic faith.


Eduardo Verastegui says the following about Hollywood's negative hispanic stereotypes in this interview: “Always the banditos, the prostitute, the criminal, the thief — and, if you are good-looking, then you are the Don-Juan Latin lover; in other words, the womanizing liar. I was feeding that negative stereotype by the roles that I was choosing. So I realized that I was not being responsible as an actor I was just taking jobs only for the money and my career and the fame, not because I wanted to do something that had the potential to make a difference, and to elevate the dignity of Latinos in this country.”


This movie is powerful and good. I loved the focus on understanding rather than judgement. I don't want to give too much away in a plot summary. Avoid reading about the film before you see it. In fact, don't read the interview linked above until you've seen it.

9 comments:

Karen said...

OK, you convinced me, but where did you see it? Was it part of the International Film Festival? I checked and it's not at any "regular" theater ...

Karen said...

Um, OK, I think I just realized it's not a NEW movie.

OK, Netflix it is.

Never mind.

Meg said...

Thanks for the suggestion! Now...I have scanned your labels and can't come up with what I was looking for. (But thanks for putting them back just the same!) I was thinking of one you suggested a couple years ago...a PBS English series about some girls who were nannies, I think. Something like Benton Square or Bentley Square or such. Does this ring a bell?

Calandria said...

Here it is, Meg: http://mainegirll.blogspot.com/2006/02/anglophile.html

That's Berkeley Square. I don't know why I don't have it under the film label.

Warning: this is a fun series but I wasn't big on the ending.

Meg said...

Bingo! Thanks so much...except...the ending is lousy? Dang.

Calandria said...

Yeah. It seems that they maybe the series was not renewed or something so they had to end it abruptly? I don't know, but the ending is not especially satisfying.

Now have you been watching Cranford on PBS? I love it!

Meg said...

I missed the first episode so I have to be on the waiting list at the library. :/ I'm also on hold for Sense and Sensibility that I recorded part 1 of and forgot part 2. Dah.

But I know a WHOLE bunch of women who will be forever grateful you introduced them to Elizabeth Gaskell...even though they think it was me. (I have tried to give credit where credit was due whenever possible.:)

She has burned through our little community like wildfire!

Gabriela said...

Ok, I'm intrigued. I love all things Latin. I'll have to see if I can find it here.

I'm not really surprised your a May birthday, I have a strange affinity for other "tauri", my husband is one and a guy I dated for a long time before I met my husband was a May birthday as well. That's why we'd be great friends! :)

Gabriela said...

Ok, you know I meant "you're" and not "your" right? Or maybe I meant "I'm really not surpirsed your birthday is in May" since saying "you are" a May birthday doesn't really make much sense. I'm really not speaking any language very well right now.