Sunday, May 25, 2008

the negotiator


Marcus got sent to his room today for a fairly minor misdemeanor. I didn't plan on leaving him there long, but he did know better than to do what he did, so there he was. After a few minutes we got one of his proposals. It said (with my comments in blue):

Hey! Which one do you want:

  • I get out of my room


  • I get $5.oo


  • I get 40 minute turns [as opposed to his current 20 minute turns allowed on Wii]


  • I get something of my choice


  • I'm never going up to my room


  • I'm having $10.00 allowance [as opposed to the current paltry two bucks]

Which one? _______________________

As you can see, Marcus is a big fan of the bullet point. He also included Spanish punctuation with an upside down exclamation point in front of "Hey!" and upside down question mark in front of "Which one?"

Another recent proposal he sent down while banished to his room was covered with "xoxoxoxo." I suppose he thought the parental party might be open to other influences outside the hardline negotiations he favors.

What goes around comes around. I don't do this so much now with Marcus, but when he was younger, multiple times per day I would take him by the shoulders, look him straight in the eye, and proceed to list his options. Looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

6 comments:

Karen ~ said...

So, let me get this straight ... he is in his room being punished for some minor misbehavior and he offers you a list of options all of which are advantageous to him? I like his style!!

What was your official response to this list of options?

Mallory said...

Hahaha! I agree with Karen... that's my kind of kid! What do you in situations like that?

Mama Ava said...

Oooh, look at that face. That's (adorable) trouble right there! He does have panache! Apparently you're supposed to choose the lesser of the evils by letting him out, since the others are so ridiculous.

Very clever. Keep an eye on this one.

dtv said...

Well played, well played indeed.

Calandria said...

We always get his list of options when we were just about to let him out anyway. So we usually just let him out. Is that bad? :-) I don't want him to think he can manipulate us, but I don't want him to feel that we are completely arbitrary either.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of Lulu's "Just say yes, Mama just say yes." I say "yes." Then she squeals "oh goody I can have a cupcake!" Maybe she will fall in her older cousins footsteps.
ave