Sunday, May 11, 2008

queen for a day



[Edit: Family members, please refrain from commenting that my expression in this photo reminds you of Grampie Rex. Thanks so much!]


I love Mother's Day. Everyone treats me so nice. I get flowers, chocolates, and even more appreciated--breakfast, lunch, and dinner taken care of for me. Plus clean up. J keeps the kids on track so I don't have to nag. No one begrudges me computer time. Ah, that it would last forever! Look, the girls even made me dandelion crowns.


Today in Relief Society we talked, among other things, about the importance of savoring the time of life in which you find yourself. The class was based on the General Conference talk "Daughters of God" by Russell Ballard. I love the following quote by Anna Quindlen:


“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).

6 comments:

Gabriela said...

Happy Mother's Day- you deserve all that you get today!!!

I love your post on your thought processes-we would SO be friends IRL. :)

...and, happy birthday to your baby!

Fauna said...

Aw, your wreath and the menu is SO cute. And I don't know who Grampie Rex is, but I think you sure look pretty in that photo! Enjoy the rest of your day! ~Fauna

Mama Ava said...

What a wonderful day! I'm jealous--I've never gotten that kind of treatment, but a bit of a fuss is usually made, but this year the week was busy and Mother's Day is an American thing so there aren't a lot of external reminders anyway...my mouth was watering just reading your menu!

"Savoring your life" seems to be common thing lately around a number of my friends...I think you do a great job. Whenever I look at your blog and see the pics you take, I wish I was better at capturing those daily moments that are both nothing special and evocative of that particular moment. I have so few of those kinds of pictures.

Happy Day!

Calandria said...

Gabriela, I think we would be IRL friends, too. :-)

Thanks, Fauna. My Grampie Rex was once dubbed as "the ugliest man in central Maine." And members of my family are always telling me that I look like him. Yes, I can see a resemblance, but do we need to talk about it? :-)

Mama Ava, I saw your post on "The Last Lecture" and that's kind of about savoring life, right? I haven't it seen it yet but I plan to. My chiropractor won't leave me alone about it.

Just last night I was telling J that I think this blog has really helped me to savor life more. It makes me more likely to notice those daily moments and capture them.

This was the first time I've had such an elaborate Mother's Day. I wonder if now they'll regret setting the bar so high. ;-)

Ballerina Girl said...

I really like the Anna Quindlen statement. It is so true...
I am lucky to always see what's right in front of me...sometimes I think that I should look a little further ahead...like what's for dinner Mom???
You look beautiful in your crown!
:)BG

ML said...

If I remember right the comment usually goes something like, "Who'd have thought that someone who looks so much like Rex V. would be such a pretty [woman, girl, kid, etc.)."