Sunday, June 08, 2008

feis results

Weirdly enough, I didn't get ANY photos at the Madison feis. No photos are allowed at the stages, but I should have taken a few shots elsewhere. This one is from a St. Pat's performance.


I love watching Irish dance, especially when Lidia is the one dancing. Dance has been a positive influence in her life in many ways, but the fun part for Lidia is the opportunity to compete. She has been working especially hard the past few weeks in preparation for this competition, and it really paid off! She placed in all of her dances: first in treble jig, first in reel, second in hornpipe, third in slip jig, and fourth in light jig.

I should explain (or I will whether you care or not :-)) that there was an enormous difference in her competition in the two dances she placed first in. Irish dance competitions are organized by age and also level of ability. Lidia did not place first, second, or third last year in her reel or hornpipe, so she had to stay in a lower level for those. The other three dances are novice level, one of the most competitive levels in her age group. It was a major deal that she got that first place in treble jig--the other girls in her group were very good. However, she didn't have good competition in the lower level reel. In fact, this might sound weird, but I was almost embarrassed by how much better she was than the other girls in that group. It was awkward.

When Lidia was right in the middle of her light jig, her last dance of the day, the fire alarm went off. It turned out to be a prank, but it was still "alarming." By odd coincidence, at that same moment an announcement was made that we were under tornado warning. I was thinking, "Whatever. Just let my girl finish her jig." After a few minutes all the stages resumed their dances and Lidia finished the jig.

In the past few months Lidia's had a huge growth spurt. Not so much physically, although I guess she did just grow into a new clothing size. What I see in Lidia is that her ability to focus and work hard has suddenly grown by leaps and bounds. Last week one of her dance teachers made a positive comment on Lidia's focus during class. On Friday her violin teacher asked me, "Are all of your children like this? So focused and intense?" I mumbled some reply--I didn't know what to say. All of my children have the ability to focus on something that interests them for large amounts of time--but they don't always apply it consistently. Lidia didn't, but now she does. I think seeing some tangible results for her efforts has been a huge motivator.

6 comments:

Cocoa said...

Congrats to Lidia for working so hard. It really paid off.

Anonymous said...

That is so great, I am so happy for Lidi and you too, what a huge success this weekend!
ave

Andrea said...

Way to go L! Keep up the great work.

Mama Ava said...

Congrats Lidia! It sounds like a lot of fun.

I've decided to get a camera phone when we get to China. When we were in Egypt cameras were banned in the tombs and the museum but cell phone cameras were allowed, I suppose because they didn't have flash. I've seen some places in China in our guide book that say "no cameras" so hopefully this way I get a few shots when cameras are a no-go.

Ballerina Girl said...

Congratulations Lidia!
Keep up the hard work!
BG

Auntie Lee said...

Wooo Hoooo!!

Good goin!!