Sunday, July 13, 2008

author blogs

I don't have my blog links up anymore, but I want to post some of the blogs I frequent. First, author blogs.

Check out this quote I found on Shannon Hale's blog about fairy tales and stories:

"We all like astonishing tales because they touch the nerve of the ancient instinct of astonishment. This is proved by the fact that when we are very young children we do not need fairy tales: we only need tales. Mere life is interesting enough. A child of seven is excited by being told that Tommy opened a door and saw a dragon. But a child of three is excited by being told that Tommy opened a door. Boys like romantic tales; but babies like realistic tales – because they find them romantic. In fact, a baby is about the only person, I should think, to whom a modern realistic novel could be read without boring him.

"This proves that even nursery tales only echo an almost pre-natal leap of interest and amazement. These tales say that apples were golden only to refresh the forgotten moment when we found that they were green. They make rivers run with wine only to make us remember, for one wild moment, that they run with water."

"The Ethics of Elfland," Orthodoxy, G. K. Chesterton

I love Shannon's blog. She's funny and down-to-earth.

Another favorite author blog is Laini Taylor's. Like Shannon, Laini is generous about sharing her writing tips and advice. And she is so cool. I LOVE her hair!

My latest favorite is Kirsten Miller's. All of her posts are fascinating, without fail. When you go to the Kiki Strike site, click on "Ananka's Diary" to get to the blog. Slightly morbid, a bit paranormal, occasionally a touch gross, but always seriously hilarious. Weird, wacky, and wonderful. I don't know where Kirsten comes up with all of this. I got The Birds Barbie image from her blog. How fabulous is that?

Those are the only three I read regularly but I'm interested in adding more. Can anyone direct me to some good author blogs? I see that Brandon Mull has a very cool site for Fablehaven. And if you are an Inkspell fan, check out Cornelia Funke's.

Did you know that Shannon Hale, Stephenie Meyer, Brandon Mull, and Laini Taylor (I think) are the same age? They are all my age. The one I'm not so sure on is Laini, but I know she started her first year of college the same year I did.

1 comment:

Cocoa said...

I need to check out all these sites. I've been wanting to for a while but just haven't had the time.

My mom was telling me that she has Shannon Hale and hubby Hale booked for a signing and reading at her bookstore on Sept. 13th. They'll be doing Rapunzel's Revenge. The publisher also called my mom to tell her the illustrator will also be coming. She is so excited! I may just have to plan a trip out to Tooele for that time.