Thursday, July 31, 2008

the way life should be

A friend and fellow Mainer was right when he said that once you cross the border from New Hampshire into Maine, the air smells fresher, the foliage is a lovelier shade of green, and even the roads are improved.

And what's up with the sunsets? In Minnesota, a sunset is usually pretty ho-hum. In Maine, it's always a production. Tuesday night as we made our way from Portland up to The Boondocks, the sun was very low in the sky. It wasn't setting yet, but there were strange cloud formations all around. The kids were dazzled and we decided that one cloud looked like a giant badger appealing to the sun god.

In college once I was telling a story and a southern roommate winced and declared (as in, "I declay-ah!"), "You're Yankeespeak grates on my ear." Yesterday after lunch we were lounging on the camp porch and I listened to my dad talk with a friend on the phone. I don't know how people can find the Maine accent "grating." I think it's soft and pleasant, at least as spoken by my parents. I don't think much of mine remains, and I miss it.

We didn't come home to Maine last year because J and I went to Europe. Not that I'm complaining. But it's so good to be home. Nothing ever changes here. In so many ways, it's "the way life should be."

7 comments:

k. said...

you all need to start coming home for fourth of July so that we can meet up!

My Full Hands said...

Enjoy your time at "home" :)

Auntie Lee said...

Shoooooooot, don't start that homesick stuff. Its always the worse for me in the summer.

Say 'hi' to everyone for me.

sniff sniff

Ballerina Girl said...

sounds like a dreamy sky!
My daughter just asked to go to my home, (where I grew up in the Northeast) which we go to every sumer and Christmas time...
but this time she wants to go back in the fall to see the leaves changing. One of my favorite times of year in the Northeast!
BG

Michelle said...

I'm glad you made it to Maine ok. And it sounds like you're having a lovely time.

I disagree about Minnesota sunsets though. One of the things I find most striking about Minnesota is the extra large sky. Whenever I am driving at dusk in the south part of EP, near the river, where there aren't a lot of homes and buildings, the sunset and the pinks and oranges illuminating the clouds are so refreshing.

Mama Ava said...

See, that's just how I feel about Montana. Enjoy every minute!

*sniff*

Auntie Lee said...

What I like about Maine the most is the eccentric people. I like how tolerant people are and the extreme down-to-earthness people are. Its hard to find that now.