Sunday, August 17, 2008

being un-pc

Georgie and Grampie rigged up this target.





Turns out Georgie is a really good shot. And Marcus shot a jug of water with the pistol and it exploded. Probably the proudest moment of his life.

I didn't get a chance to reply to the great comments on the Mainers post.
Ballerina Girl, how long did you live in Venezuela? I made arepas for the family in Maine.
Mama Ava, your gun story totally cracked me up. Are you a native Minnesotan? Didn't you grow up in Montana? You seem more of a western gal to me. ;-)
Karen, I wish I were more Maine-like too. I don't think I'm very Maine-like at all. I don't usually say what I'm thinking (besides on this blog), I like the city, I'm not very friendly, and I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer. Evidently I don't even look like a Mainer. On two occasions, on finding out I'm from Maine, people have looked puzzled and said, "You don't look like you're from Maine." I should have asked them what they meant by that because it's bugged me ever since. Anyway, I may not look or act like a Mainer, but I love them.
Gabriela, I bet you would love Mainers and would have all kinds of funny observations about us.
ML, I think you make a good point that people are basically the same everywhere. That's why a Tibetan monk can read the Mr. Collins scenes in Pride and Prejudice, laugh his head off, and say, "I know a guy just like that!" It's human nature. But I do think there are interesting regional tendencies.
Auntie Lee, your Aunt in the Netherlands sounds like she was so cool. I wish I'd had the chance to meet her. Is that the one that had a tree planted for her in Israel because she helped a Jew during the war?
Ave, I like how you say that your in-laws are "charmed and startled" by Mainers. :-)

2 comments:

Twinlinebackers said...

Do you actually know a Tibetian monk who laughed his head off about Pride and Prejudice? That totally cracked me up.

Mama Ava said...

un-pc all too often = f-u-n