Sunday, August 31, 2008

a grateful mom

Lidia and Georgie with cousins (second cousins? third cousins once removed?)

I wanted to write this down when it happened but I forgot, and now I don't remember all the details. The other night I was coming home late from something. I knew that J was not home and as I drove into our driveway I remembered that I hadn't done the dishes before I left. Great, I thought, I will walk into a big mess and have to clean that up while getting the kids put to bed.

Lo and behold, I walked into the kitchen to find Georgie and Lidia doing dishes and cleaning the kitchen! I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the evening.

2 comments:

Mike & Mal said...

I'm pretty sure this is how it goes:

You are my first cousin. That makes me your children's first cousin once removed (meaning one generation removed from one another). That will make my children and your children, second cousins.

That's a cute story about the dishes. I know it always made Mum happy to find the house unexpectedly clean. I'd say the most important thing is letting the girls know it pleased you every time. Sometimes it really bummed me out when I did all the work and Mum and Dad wouldn't say anything.

Auntie lee said...

It's so great when those little things happen. Suddenly all your teaching and example doing comes together and you realize they actually listened to you.