Thursday, September 18, 2008

three dreams

I always mean to write down my dreams but I usually forget. I've had three strange dreams this past week and this time I'm going to record them. Here is the first.

Dream #1: I've always wished my husband (or myself, for that matter) were a little more handy around the house. J's dad is the king of all do-it-yourselfers, but J did not inherit that gene. In this dream, it was revealed to me what would happen if J were suddenly to develop a mania for home improvement. Some of you know that we bought our current home mostly because it had about a dozen beautiful trees in the front yard. And if you know that, you also know that we've had to remove, at great expense and greater heartache, all but three of those trees. In my dream I go out the front door and find J with a chainsaw in his hands. He's looking up at the trees. "That's too bad," he says.

"What?" I ask, quick, low, and wary. I do not look up.

"Well, I was trying to prune these trees, but it didn't turn out as I expected. Looks like they'll have to come down." He starts the chainsaw. rrrrrrrrrvvvvvvvvv rrrrrvvvvvvvv

I look up and see most of the branches of our trees dangling forlornly, hanging by shreds of wood. I start sobbing. I turn and run back into the house. I go into the living room/dining room and stop mid-sob. I look down at our new maple floor. It has been... refinished. The surface is rough and bumpy. The color is dark and mottled. J walks in the door.

"What..." I begin. J interrupts.

"I didn't like how the new floor turned out. I wanted it darker and shinier, so I tried to fix it."

I start sobbing again. I am crying so hard I can't even see. I'm crying like a 2-year old. I slowly melt to the floor and curl up into a fetal position. I do not stop crying.

Those are the only two projects I remember clearly, as they came at the end of the dream. I wish I could remember the other home "improvements."

What I learned from this dream: Love your husband for who he is, and do not ever, ever wish he were handier.

4 comments:

Mallory said...

Yikes! But hey, at least your dreams teach you something! ... Albeit in unusual ways.

Karen ~ said...

LOL - well, perhaps you need to find out - maybe J's secret dream is to be handier, and you are supposed to learn how to support him in that habit no matter what!

(I don't *really* think that, but hey, it makes for interesting conversation!!)

I love my dreams. Sounds like you have intense ones, too.

Anonymous said...

That is too funny, I would love to see J wielding a chainsaw!
ave

yesweareonmars said...

I've had dreams like that to where I wake up and I'm still angry with H.. even though I know its a dream. It takes a few hours before that feeling goes away as well. Its strange.

You have those people who try to read something in it but I don't know. I think its just negative energy working its way out.