Saturday, October 11, 2008

who wears the pants?

This article about a recent study done on who wields more decision-making power in the family, husband or wife, was very interesting, but certainly no surprise to me. In nearly every family I know, it appears to me that the couple either make decisions together, or the wife has more of the decision-making power with the husband having a "whatever makes her happy" kind of attitude.

In our family, J and I make the big decisions together, but I do relate to this:

According to the author of the study, David Vogel, what he and his team witnessed during recorded conversations wasn't a case of men tuning out when their wives started talking. Rather the researchers saw that when spouses engaged in debate, the women gained more ground than their husbands did. "[The women] were communicating more powerful messages and men were responding to those messages by agreeing," Mr. Vogel stated in a press release.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you think that men ultimatly want very basic things and don't really care that much about other "stuff." Take our car for instance, JW would have let me pick out just about any ol' car in our price range that I wanted. It was important to him that I approve of the choice of vehicle. When I tried to opt out he got all weird on me. I decided that he should get the car that I felt he wanted. So in the end we are both happy. I don't like feeling like I make all the decisions, but I would probably be unhappy if I made none or few of the decisions.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't know what that is like.

ML said...

Casey makes all of the decisions, then we adjust them together until I'm happy, and then he's happy too! :)

yesweareonmars said...

I don't have a choice. Hans makes the decisions or I leave the kids and go back to the States. Not much negotiation there.