Wednesday, November 12, 2008

christmas mix meme




I am so, so happy the election is over. I stopped posting about the presidential campaign because I became so wearied of it all. I have to say it did provide some lively, interesting discussion at our dinner table. We were divided 3-3 between the two candidates. Marcus had a hard time deciding for awhile. One time he said to me with a frustrated tone, "Mom, Obama wants to raise our taxes and McCain wants to keep us in war. I don't know who to vote for." After considering a Green party vote, he finally decided on McCain and was really bummed that his candidate didn't win. For the entire past week we've heard, "I can't believe Obama won." Last night he said, "The only reason people voted for Obama is because how he talks and his lookingness."


Lidia eventually went with Obama, but was initially for McCain. When she told kids at school this, she got to hear the following responses:

"Racist."

"McCain has seven kids and Palin has five. That makes them big freaks!"

Anyway. I am so, so happy that's over.

Saturday morning we awoke to a winter wonderland. The kids were thrilled. I started shopping for Christmas music on iTunes, and I felt peace and contentment.


Here are the songs I downloaded:




1. "Go Tell It On the Mountain" by The Golden Gospel Singers, A Capella Praise


2. "Un Flambeau, Jeannette, Isabelle" by Loreena McKennitt, A Midwinter Night's Dream


3. "Good King Wenceslas" by Loreena McKennitt, A Midwinter Night's Dream


4. "Santa Claus in Comin to Town" by Rockapella, Christmas


5. "Silver Bells" by Rockapella, Christmas


6. "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by Barenaked Ladies, A Winter's Night


7. "Rudoph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer" by The Gypsy Hombres, Django Bells


8. "Brazilian Sleigh Bells" by Percy Faith and his orchestra, The Golden Age of Light Music


9. "Joy to the World" by Cody McCoury, Christmas Grass: A Celebration of Christmas, Bluegrass Style


10. "Mary, Did You Know" by "Various Artists" (though I think it's Reba McIntire), Christmas Grass Too


11. "The Gifts They Gave" by Harry Belafonte, Harry Belafonte Christmas


12. "Winter Wonderland" by Harry Connick, Jr., When Harry Met Sally soundtrack


13. "Like an Angel Passing Through My Room" by Sissel and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Spirit of the Season




My kids LOVE this mix. They especially like the Rudolph version by The Gypsy Hombres and the folk Good King Wenceslas by Loreen McKennitt.




So what is that ideal Christmas mix that is going to help you put election '08 far behind? I am tagging all the folks on my sidebar!

10 comments:

Chris Cavendish said...

Is it any wander that America loves entertainment value. America is Hollywood.

You are right McCain is not as entertaining.

This was the most confusing election in the history of the world.

When you get the time, please check out my blg.
I have some very interesting Christmas Music.

CLICK HERE!
Thanks a trillion,
Chris

Karen ~ said...

I will just take your list as I never have the patience or know-how to find my own. If you like those songs chances are I will too :-)

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

Ack! Haven't even though about Chrismtas music yet. We had an Enrichment meeting last Thursday and they were playing Christmas music in the background. It made me sick, actually, so I got up and turned it off and NOBODY even noticed!

My mix would definitely have "What Child is This" and maybe also "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" (by Josh Groban) and it wouldn't be Christmas without Peter, Paul and Mary's "Children Go Where I send Thee" and "Light One Candle."

Michelle said...

Were you able to preview before buying? I feel like I need a little more of a post-election break before I start thinking about Christmas.

We have BNL and Rockapella Christmas cds if you want to borrow.

Calandria said...

I downloaded these songs from their separate albums to make my own mix. Yes, you do get to listen to them first.

Anonymous said...

My favorites are the old carols sung so that I can understand the words and NOT jazzed up. I love them all.
...mum

Ballerina Girl said...

I will have to start working on this one!
I usually do not do much for Christmas until after Thanksgiving, but hey, a little music wouldn't hurt right!
BG

Mallory said...

I like this game!

Mama Ava said...

I expect as many posts as on the political topics. I need new Christmas music! I'm definitely taking this list.

I love Nat King Cole. I just melt when I hear him sing. I also like silly ones from Veggie Tales for a change of pace. I'm not a huge fan of things like "Britney Spears does Christmas." I tend more toward instrumental music. But "Mary did you know?" is one of my favorites and I reluctantly admit to the Clay Aiken version as one that appeals to me in particular!

ML said...

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas for us without "Sleigh Ride" by the Boston Pops, Bing Crosby singing "White Christmas," or everybody jumpin' in the livingroom to "Boogie Woogie Santa" by ? (I can't remember, but we play it a million times every year!).
Sorry I deleted my first comment--I just needed to edit it.