Tuesday, December 30, 2008

childhood dreams

Ave posted about her pre-marriage dream of becoming a soccer mom, complete with white Land Rover with heated seats. My mom's dream was to have a self-sustainable farm with "orchards and berry bushes, chickens, and all of her family actively and happily participating." Seems Mom wanted her dream to be her children's dream, too. :)

All this dream talk made me hearken back to my pre-married life (in my case, that was my childhood) and the dreams of yore. I don't think suburban soccer mom or farming earth mother occurred to me, as far as I remember. My dreams always seemed to involve large cities, preferrably in foreign countries. And a life of the mind. I think in these dreams I saw myself as a sort of intellectual jet-setter. Maybe a highly-sought-after expert on something. Jane Austen, perhaps? Because you know those Jane Austen experts are flown all over the globe and paid unseemly amounts for their Austen speeches and seminars. As far as a husband and children, I'm not sure they figured much in the dream, except that my husband would be hunky and my children mostly taken care of by the nanny. Yikes, maybe the hunky husband should come along on these trips, lest HE be taken care of by the nanny, too.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that I saw the "soccer mom" life as liberating. Nobody to answer to during the day, darling children that everyone adored, a husband being industious and making lots of money. It seemed like a good choice for a girl who liked pretty things and didn't like being told what to do. I think that the "farming earth mother" life is more rewarding, it is more what God intended for humans perhaps? Something about Adam living by the sweat of his brow. Eve wasn't just sitting on her tush.
ave

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I was going to point out that when we were kids I always pictured you being a doctor, senator, or a high powered lawyer. You had this incredible drive and determination that I marveled at. You could totally do Nancy Pelosi's job.
ave

Anonymous said...

The only dream I had for my children was that they all be happy and productive though there were aspects of life that I felt were important in attaining that blessed state; education and service in the Church for example.

I agree with Abigail Adams' advice to two of her sons who had been sent to an uncle to be taught and prepared for college.

"To be good and do good is the whole duty of man comprised in few words."

Anonymous said...

Uh, that last comment was from me.
...mum

Calandria said...

Mum, I was just kidding about you wanting our dreams to be the same as yours.

Calandria said...

It was the "all of her family actively and happily participating" that cracked me up.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the













Yes, "...actively and happily..."
was a naive facet of that old dream. ...mum

Anonymous said...

I don't know what THAT was all about! It should have read:

Yes, "all of her family actively and happily participating" was a naive facet of my old dream.
...mum

Gabriela said...

:) Hmmmmm, my dreams were different at times, I knew from early on that I wanted to get married young and have kids, which I find odd because no one was encouraging me to do this AT ALL, but then I wanted to be a doctor the last few years before I got married.

Now I know it was med school and not being a doctor that I was really interested in-so I still hope to go back to school someday (but not for an MD). (did you want to know all of that???)

Calandria said...

Gabriela, yes, I did want to know all that. :)