Saturday, January 03, 2009

a gift

Thank you for your comments on the last post. Though, as Karen pointed out, this will likely NOT be the first thing that Obama does as president, it is something of which to be aware and informed.

When I read about FOCA, the first thing I thought was, "This would never pass! Most Americans would never be in favor of such a thing." It's simply too radical. However, this is not a democracy. Most Americans can be opposed to it and yet it could still become law. At the time of Roe v. Wade, I would imagine that most Americans were not in favor of broad abortion rights. Correct me if I'm wrong--I'm just guessing this to be true.

I have to say, I am blown away by the number of abortions performed in the United States every year. Supposedly we are a culture that values life. I do not think it's possible for someone to value life and think it's acceptable for people to use abortion as birth control.

Here is something that occurred to me on my walk just now. Since the beginning of time, men have behaved badly. Not ALL of them, but a goodly number. They have had lots of sex whenever and with whomever they want, and the women have been left to pay the price with unwanted pregnancies. When a man has casual sex, he doesn't worry a great deal about the consequences in that regard--he is pretty much free of responsibility. An unwanted pregnancy is not going to mess up his life. However, it is obviously a different story for women. Do women who believe its okay to use abortion as birth control think that helps even the score a bit? As in, "now we can behave like men, having casual sex without having to pay the consequences. We are no longer victims of biology." I mean, is this the actual thinking behind it?

Life is often inconvenient. Heck, it's painful. It's excruciating. And so completely unfair. I'm reading Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke right now, and she writes pain well. What I take from this book (so far--haven't finished it yet) is that in spite of the excruciating pain and terrible injustice, it is so worth it. It is a gift.

6 comments:

Mallory said...

Personally, I think the vast majority of people have behaved, or at least tried to behave, pretty well. (Call me an optimist, I don't really care. I call it like I see it.) I also believe that there are plenty of women throughout history who slept around just as much as men did - I mean, for every man-whore there has to be a number of women who will sleep with them, right?

As for the consequences, I don't know what the thinking is behind it, all I know is that it's pretty selfish.

Mama Ava said...

Great posts, Calandria. But I'm confused when you say "This is not a democracy. Most Americans can be opposed to it and yet it can still become law." Just because we're a democracy doesnt mean that each person gets their way. By having a representative instead of a direct democracy we do have to put the decisions in the hands of those we elect, knowing that that person can't possibly represent everyone's positions. Which is why it's so important to be well-informed and select the best people to represent this country.

When you say "most Americans" maybe you mean "most voting Americans" since those that don't vote don't have a say in what eventually happens.

And, perhaps sadly (or not, depending on your beliefs), I do think an awful lot, perhaps a majority, of Americans support some forms of abortion past just protecting the mother's life or in cases of rape/incest. When you are surrounded by like-minded people, it's easy to forget how very many people there are out there. I don't mean that at all as a swipe at being narrow-minded or unaware. We've been taken aback several times here at how little understanding there is for our own faith and the ways we make decisions personally. In Minnesota we were always surrounded by people who believed and in Tanzania we were surrounded by missionaries. It's an eye-opener to be now a real minority here!

Calandria said...

"I do think an awful lot, perhaps a majority, of Americans support some forms of abortion past just protecting the mother's life or in cases of rape/incest."

I think so, too. In fact, I would not be in favor of suddenly enacting laws restricting abortion to those few cases, as I have stated on this blog. Most people would put me in the pro-choice camp. But there is a difference between thinking something is wrong and thinking it should be illegal. I do believe that most Americans, though they support some degree of abortion rights (more than just in cases of rape, incest, and life of the mother) would never, ever get an abortion themselves or encourage another to do so.

Calandria said...

I reread my post and your comment, Mama Ava. Maybe I still haven't stated things clearly. I always have that problem!

Having a democracy for sure does not mean that everyone gets their way. I meant to point out that if there are a majority of representatives elected who happen to have extreme views in one area (that area overlooked by voters who often have to pick between the lesser of two evils), there could be laws passed that most Americans do not agree with.

And again, when I said "broad abortion rights," I meant something as extreme as FOCA. I do not believe that most Americans would support FOCA, even though most do favor some abortion rights.

Anonymous said...

I have often felt like I was a victim of biology. To be a woman is to feel more pain, have more problems with bits and pieces, and have less choice. There are many times that I lament being a woman, and do not understand why we are plagued with our lot in life.
ave

Anonymous said...

Reading that post again, I had another thought. I think that women who are participating in casual sex are going against nature in a way. For example, if you look at the situation strictly biologically, a female tiger (or any other mammal for that matter) does not mate just for the kicks. They do it because their brain tells them to, and then they take care of their young. Women who are out having casual sex are not following the intended way for our species, especially when they abort their children.
ave