Tuesday, January 13, 2009

moving madness, part deux




Sunday J hit a patch of black ice on his way to Faribault. He went off the road and hit the guard rails. He's fine, thank Heavens. We don't know if the car is totalled or not, but it looks that way.

Yesterday afternoon it snowed and I spent some excruciating hours in traffic. (I take Lidia to and from school because she attends another district. It usually takes about 15 minutes to get there, but yesterday it took almost an hour.) I also waited one hour in front of G's school for the math team bus to get back. Could someone explain to me why people here do not cancel after-school activities when the weather is THAT bad?

This morning I spent more time in frustrating traffic during the school commute. It's not snowing. In fact, it's bright and sunny, which dupes people into thinking the roads are a-okay. However, they are NOT because it's -10 F, too cold for the salt to melt the ice on the roads. Hit an icy overpass, put on the breaks, and you're toast. I saw at least four cars off the road this morning. After a while I didn't even notice them anymore. Just part of the scenery.

To preserve my sanity in this morning's traffic, I left Minnesota. Calandria's body was there in the SUV (I love you, 4-wheel drive), but her mind went far, far away. Not to Galicia this time, though that is still the ultimate fantasy destination this year. It went to a new dream place, stateside. Guess.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some place in Appalacia? Virginia?
ave

Meg said...

Should I take a cheatin' guess or let others guess, ;)

I'm sorry about your accident. Black ice totalled our car 8 years ago this last month...with all of us in it. So scary. So blessed!

ML said...

You're always welcome in Saipan where it's always summer! (It's a good take off point to Asia as well.)

Michelle said...

Albuquerque or Santa Fe? I was just thinking this morning that New Mexico would be a great state to live in.

celtishbee said...

It looks kind of like New England but i think it may be in the south east. Virginia?

Mama Ava said...

Um...Utah? It's winter there, too, but the good kind--lots of nice snow, mountains, and not that wretched freezing cold.

Karen ~ said...

I'm going to guess North Carolina since I lived there when I was young. And because no one else has guessed that. And because I know you have a fondness for that area of the world.

yesweareonmars said...

What is so great about Minnisota anyway? What takes people there? Isn't it cold and flat?

yesweareonmars said...

Asheville, North Carolina.

yesweareonmars said...

Ok, I've got something for ya.
Here is a very cool large property for sale in that area. Its big enough to convert for two or three families. I'll go in with ya.

http://inthesmokymountains.com/log_home_architects/Historic_Stone_Mansion_in_Asheville_North_Carolina_for_sale.shtml

Calandria said...

Auntie, how did you guess?

Maine Mom said...

I'm glad J didn't get hurt when he went off the road. That is scary!

I could use a warm getaway right about now, too. :-)