Wednesday, January 14, 2009

no point letting your trousers slip half way




Lately I've been obsessed with English history. I'm not sure how I got into this. I've definitely ratcheted up my anglophilia to a new level. I think I wanted to look up some information about the Anglo Saxons after hearing on audio The Sea of Trolls. And then there are a couple English historical fiction books I'd like to read, but I wanted to get a good overview first. Right now I'm reading Our Island Story by H.E. Marshall and Great Tales From English History by Robert Lacey. Our Island Story is for children and was first published in 1905. It's available to read online through the Baldwin Project. It's a fun and exciting read--very appealing to the imagination. I've heard that many great British historians give this book the credit for awakening their interest in history. It's been great to read Great Tales at the same time because it tells some of the same stories (with a few more graphic details) while looking at historical evidence. I like Great Tales too because Robert Lacey has an entertaining writing style and a sly sense of humor. I look forward to the next two volumes!

Anyone know what the post title, a mnemonic device, helps you remember?

15 comments:

Karen ~ said...

Well, it's NOT regions, royalty, money, or tube lines. This is going to eat at me all day now. Can you give us a teensy hint without giving it away?

Calandria said...

It may possibly have something to do with one of the things you list.

Ballerina Girl said...

could it be to be aware of your place? (in society, for instance?)
anyways...fun topics! Asheville looks great! that is the Biltmore! knew it right away!
BG

Mallory said...

British dynasties: Norman, Plantagenet, Lancaster, York, Tudor, Stuart, Hanover, Windsor.

Mallory said...

Just for the record: I think it's hilarious that they chose such a crass sentence to remember the monarchs! Hahaha!

Calandria said...

Good job, Mal! (You didn't google it, did you? ;-))

Now here's what's funny: It didn't dawn on me that that sentence is crass. But it is, isn't it?

Mama Ava said...

Isn't it the order of the royals... w=windsors, t=tudors y=york.

Mama Ava said...

and, for the record, I answered before I read Mal's post and Calandria's response.

yesweareonmars said...

I think its typical English humor, very Pythonesch.

I think the book 'Our Island Story' is interesting for children but for adults its very slow and not so interesting. The story of Boudicca for instance has many more juicy parts then you can tell children.

Mallory said...

Yeah, I agree with Aunt Lee. I think it's typical British humor, I just think the fact that they use it to remember royal lines makes it even funnier! 'Course, the royals probably use the same one, let's be honest!

Calandria said...

Good job to you too Mama Ava. :)

Now I'm pondering this phrase. COULD there be a point to letting one's trousers slip half way?

ProMom said...

Yes, but I'm not sure I can explain on a public blog!
(Blush!)

Glenda 2010 said...

This type of trousers for women. It combines the always fashionable menswear trend and infuses it with a touch of classic femininity. The trousers are best described as low-slung and roomy. They have a relaxed yet tailored quality that is very appealing. However, to wear this trend the right way you must consider proportion and fit over anything else.

work trousers with knee pads

nasim said...

oh, trust me, i feel your pain with the whole heels/tube combination. it does NOT work!! :( fingers crossed for sun - i have a festival and several house parties which involve being outside...
Plus Size Sarong

dubaiexperies said...

you mentioned here will be very useful to me! I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.
San Antonio Roofing Companies