Friday, February 13, 2009

a bad plan is better than no plan

Really? I don't think that's what Abraham Lincoln would say.

I have yet to hear of anyone, save the politicians, who thinks this stimulus plan is a good idea. (And that's only because it makes them look decisive.) Liberals, conservatives, you name it, we all appear to have the same reaction: Huh?

Harvard economist Robert Barro in an Atlantic interview:

This is probably the worst bill that has been put forward since the 1930s. I don't know what to say. I mean it's wasting a tremendous amount of money. It has some simplistic theory that I don't think will work, so I don't think the expenditure stuff is going to have the intended effect. I don't think it will expand the economy. And the tax cutting isn't really geared toward incentives. It's not really geared to lowering tax rates; it's more along the lines of throwing money at people. On both sides I think it's garbage.

8 comments:

Gabriela said...

It's pretty dang scary, I mean if the first stimulus plan didn't stimulate where's the logic? Hmmmm, let's just make it bigger this time, maybe that'll work!

Dina said...

I read an article yesterday equating it to what the Japanese did in the 90's that didn't work. They tried 10 stimulus packages totallying 100 trillion yen and all it did was put their gov't. into debt.

I know you are liberal :) so I won't argue politics, but here in Oregon I was saddened to see that they are using the part of the stimulus package for education to keep all the ELL and Title I programs funded. (My daughter's middle school now serves breakfast, lunch AND dinner!) But in trade, they will most likely close school 16 days early.

Calandria said...

I read about that somewhere too, Dina. Food for thought.

I had to smile at the "liberal" label. Everyone tries to own Abraham Lincoln as one of their kind--arguments are made that he was liberal, conservative, and centrist. I begin to think I have the opposite effect on people. Conservatives say I'm liberal, liberals say I'm conservative.

athena said...

i hope you don't mean me as trying to own lincoln. personally i couldn't care less. it depends on what era you're looking at him. in his time he was very partisan. if you judge him by today's standards i guess you could call him a centralist.

Calandria said...

No, I didn't mean you. That was just my reflection after a day of hearing all kinds of views on him.

Mallory said...

amen.

ProMom said...

I agree with the throwing money part. Why is it that I always get the mental picture of the rich tossing pennies to the peasants? While the big bankers get billions? Keep stocking up on your food storage!

yesweareonmars said...

Actually the political system was so much more different when Abe Lincoln was pres. then now. There were many more parties and only a small portion of the population could vote. I don't think anyone can call him anything compared to now. Our views of what is lib or conserv is also very different now. Everyone back then would shake in their shoes at things like the power insurance companies and lawyers have, the number of laws, amount of tax and the subsidies people get. Its a different world.

Every plan in Washington -good or bad- gets watered down so much in order to pass it that even the best ideas get replaced with crap.