Sunday, April 26, 2009

a food post












We got home yesterday evening. I woke up bright and early (4:20) and decided to write a post. I sat here staring blankly at the screen for a few moments because I had no idea where to start. It was an amazing trip and I have 500 photos. Then I remembered that there were requests for food posts, so I guess I start with that.
The first three pictures show my favorite restaurant of the trip: El Tintero, or The Inkpot, in Malaga. It's not just the food, it's the experience. The first photo shows about 2/3 of this enormous place down on the beach. You go in and get a table. There are no menus. There are guys roving around the room with plates of seafood--just about every kind you can imagine and more. They shout at the top of their lungs what they have (very noisy!) and you take a plate of whatever appeals to you. We went with three other couples and we got many, many plates. We got to try a little of everything. The second two photos show a specialty of Malaga, grilled sardines. I love seafood, so this was absolute heaven. My mouth is watering excessively just remembering.
I have no other photos of other restaurant food we ate in Spain. We were eating with friends a lot, and I just didn't remember to take photos. And when I did remember the restaurants were too dark to get good images. The food was amazing. We had tapas and tapas and tapas. Paella (though it's better in Barcelona). Gazpacho. Delicious guisados, or thick stews of meat and vegetables. Oh! Get this. We were in Madrid for two days and one time we ate at this restaurant around the corner from our hotel. It was just a little place, but there were photos up of celebrities who'd eaten there, including one of Prince Felipe with the proprietor. There was one of Tom Cruise. J wondered what he'd been doing in that neck of the woods. I said, "Oh, it must have been back in his Penelope Cruz days." We laughed. When we got home J was looking at the GPS. "Look at this," he said. "The Church of Scientology of Spain is half a block from that restaurant." Mystery solved.
The pastries of Spain are to die for. Why don't we have these little pastry shops in the States like they do there? And why, oh why, do we not eat more pastry cream? Why, for example, do our cream horns have nasty whipped frosting in them instead of delightful pastry cream? It is a mystery.
The fruits and vegetables in southern Spain are large and nicely colored like the ones I find at the grocery store here. But there they are bursting with flavor.

7 comments:

Ave said...

Yay! Food pictures. It all looks so delicious. I can't wait to talk to you about your trip.

Meg said...

I love when you travel. I feel so refreshed! :)

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

I'm a HUGE seafood fan too. Rather hard to get good seafood out in the middle of the desert. :( The pics are all wonderful.

Glad you are back safe and sound. Can't wait for the other travel posts!

yesweareonmars said...

Food! You are SOOOO a part of our family!!

Ballerina Girl said...

Yummy!!
I never thought I would eat sardines until a friend of mine had me try them...they were fried, I beleive, but they were so good!
Great foto of the veggies/fruits...and yes, they do burst with so much more flavor!
And last but not least...ah, the pastries...though I have not visited Spain, I remember the ones in Italy and France...pure bliss :)

BG

Brenda said...

MMMMmmmmm fabulous, mouthwatering as you describe it! Thanks:)

Bahamas Cruise said...

Why you don't have a picture with Tom Cruise himself? I like seafood too. In my last vacation from Bahamas Cruise which I ordered via ECT I ate in small but very nice seafood restaurant. I don't remember the name, but it was fantastic seafood there.