Wednesday, June 24, 2009

the mystery of the iced mccafe

I'm not quite ready to switch to my other blog. It seems so abrupt. I'll let you know when I start posting over there.


Yesterday morning, I left the house at about 8:05 to run an errand. About 20 minutes later, J called. He was on his way to work, and he'd found an iced McCafe in his car, nearly finished. Also, some gum he keeps in the glove compartment had been taken out and left on the passenger seat. Yes, he had left his car unlocked and outside the garage. When he found the McCafe, there was still ice in it, but the ice was nearly melted by the time he got to work. It's been very hot here.


J's business partner suggested that someone in the neighborhood might know he has the car for sale (he has not advertised yet, but I did tell someone I know is looking for that same brand) and wanted to check out the inside. And then they might have forgot the McCafe when they left. The problem I see with that is, why wouldn't they have just told us they wanted to look at the inside of our car? Also, why would they have taken the gum out and left it on the passenger seat? It's not just one package of gum, but many packages in a bag, like you would get at Costco or something. J is positive he didn't leave it there.


Another scenario is a joke. Some neighbor was just having fun with us, like "Haha you left your car open so now I'm leaving this McCafe here and taking your gum out haha." But wouldn't they have said something later so we could laugh about it together? And wouldn't that be a little weird? And, as I have noted in a previous post, we don't have that kind of relationship with our neighbors. We do with friends who often walk by our house, but they are fellow Mormons, not likely to be drinking McCafe.


One J and I thought of last night is that someone was in our car, some McCafe drinker with bad intent. S/he rifled through our things, opening the glove compartment to check for valuables, when I opened the garage door to leave for the errand. Mr./Miss McCafe bolted, leaving behind the drink. Sadly, I think this is the most likely scenario. It's rather unnerving because it was not that early in the morning. It must have happened either right before or just after I left at 8:05 because there was still ice and it was already really hot out.


Isn't that creepy?

11 comments:

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

Very creepy!

Gabriela said...

wow, that's really weird. It would creep me out to think someone had been sitting in my car enjoying a McCafe.

Dina said...

That's really creepy! They were probably right there when you came out--eek. I'd start locking up...

Mike and Mal said...

The joke is a possibility. Although you say you don't have that kind of a relationship with your neighbors, I do know of some highly socially awkward people who would do that kind of thing thinking it was funny and not say anything about it. Freaks. Of course, you know your neighbors better than I do.

Or you're being stalked and he/she wanted to freak you out some. But it's best not to think about that one.

You could just keep crapy cars like my family always did. You know, I think the van we had on MDI was so ugly it actually deterred thieves.

Ballerina Girl said...

agh, not a fun scenario! Stay safe and be careful!

BG

yesweareonmars said...

Unlocked and keys in? That car would have been long gone if it was parked here. You must live in a Dover like area.

Friends of our had their car stolen. They got it back a week later and it was full of fast food trash and had 5000 miles put on it. Maybe someone used your car to get a midnight snack and they decided the coffee would keep them awake.

Lucy said...

there were no keys in it--we're not that bad. ;-)

Dina said...

You're throwing me there with the whole "Lucy" thing....

Lucy said...

I know. It's hard for me to get used to, too, but I like it. I'm thinking of changing my real name to Lucy when I'm in Spain.

yesweareonmars said...

Lucy?! Where'd that come from? Is this some dream name from years ago?

Mallory said...

You know, I asked my dad once why he never changed his name legally to Casey since that's what everyone knew him by anyway (and the fact that his name is Kimberly...) and he just said, "Well, I figure it's the name my mother gave me, and I love my mother, so I'm going to keep it."

Obviously, I'm not saying if you change it you don't love or respect your mum. I just thought it was an interesting take on it, especially since his case is so extreme.