Wednesday, July 22, 2009

awesome mormons and one bad and one good


Check out this link a friend sent me about an unusual (and yet so typically Mormon in their abnormality--they put the 'p' in 'peculiar') Mormon family in Denver. Great reading.


One bad thing and one good:


I totally took it for granted all those years (until roughly a year ago) that I was so slender I could waltz into any old department store and find me a pair of jeans. Even Gap, a skinny folk store. Alas, this is no longer the case. Will Spanish food make me skinny again because it's so fresh and additive free?


I found a perfume I absolutely love. First time ever. It's called Pure Grace. It smells like soap, or if you want to get fancy, "pure grace is the clean smell of soap and water, the memory of fresh air woven into a set of crisp, white cotton sheets, a cold deep breath on a snowy winter night, the best summer morning you have ever known, the one white t-shirt that feels better than all the rest." I'm going to covertly spray my kids with it. Even Marcus. Especially Marcus.

8 comments:

celtishbee said...

I discovered "Pure Grace" two years ago. Hadn't bothered with perfumes for decades but bought it because I liked the idea of a soap and water fragrance. Love it.

Mallory said...

"Even Marcus. Especially Marcus." Hahah! That is my favorite part! So, he's getting to THAT stage, huh?

One of the clues in the scavenger hunt Mike sent me on when he proposed to me (they were all gifts) was a bottle of perfume. Like you I've never found one that I really, really like. But this smells excellent! It's not too fruity or flowery or spicy smelling. (Spicy is the worst I think. Too spicy and you end up smelling like an old woman who couldn't smell it so she just kept adding on more and more.) It's kind of a sweet, slightly flowery smell. I love it.

I like that they use "a deep breath on a winter night." Mike and I were trying to explain to someone what snow smelled like, but she just didn't get it. Oh, it's so frustrating. Don't people ever use their noses?!

Mama Ava said...

Thanks for posting the article about the Denver family. I thought their faith was the least quirky thing about them--the thing that bothered me the most was their names! There's an benefit to a huge family--if the outside world finds you odd, you've got 20-30 close relatives to turn to!

On the other hand, people who are quirky to the tune of Yale, Oxford, and getting elected to public office are usually more often called geniuses, so I guess they did a few things right!

Lucy said...

Mum, maybe that's why I liked it so much! It reminded me of you without me even realizing it.

Mama Ava, the names are hilarious. Some are not SO bad, like Shiloh and Levi. But Zenith Wisdom? Charity Sunshine? Utah Mormons of the less-educated variety are known for coming up with really bizare names, especially spellings. These folks don't have the uneducated excuse, but I guess when you start out with a father named 'Timber Dick'...

ProMom said...

Watch out when your boy WANTS to bathe. It's a sure sign that he noticed GIRLS!

ML said...

Does it smell like snow in the air? That's the best, freshest, most beautiful smell I know...and the most bothersome!

Fitzhamilton said...

Pure Grace, huh?

That could be one of those crazy Denver family's kids' names.

And not a bad one, either.

Lucy said...

Haha! Except to be doctrinally correct it would have to be 'Pure Grace+Works.' But yeah, I can totally see them going with 'Purity Grace.'